Low Carb outpatients study.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Very interesting Graham. More evidence that a reduction in carbs has to be good for any Diabetic I think. I have seen the benefits for myself and I'm certainly convinced.

Ken.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
As Bob Dylan (or was it Pete Seeger) once said:

When will they ever learn :?: or even acknowledge the obvious.

I was talking to a hospital Dr yesterday, & she said, "if it works for you...."

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
WEll We knew that!
Hana

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
It's kind of ambiguous. What's a 'high-carb' diet?

It gives the % amount of carbs for the low-carb diet but not for the high... Is that a 'normal' diet? Or a high-carb diet compared to a normal diet as well?

Anyway, I'll get the chalk and tally that up as evidence for low-carb dieting :D

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
Okay thanks, I was just worried about the validity of the results. Cause if they just labelled it 'high carbs' it could've been anything upwards of 'low carb'.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
phoenix said:
(The carbs can be calculated )
In this study they only looked at a 'low carb' group: 1852 kcal; %CHO:fat:protein = 30:44:20 (how can they be that accurate?), so if I've worked it out right : 139 g carbs.

In the previous study 'Long-term effects of a diet loosely restricting carbohydrates on HbA1c levels',
a normal diet was 1734+/-410 kcal, carbohydrate:protein:fat ratio=57:16:26
ie 188-305 g carbs
carbohydrate reduced was 1773+/-441 kcal, carbohydrate:protein:fat ratio=45:18:33
ie 149 - 249g carbs

Hi Phoenix,
This study shows the effects of a diet restricted to 20% carbs..

Critics of the low-carbohydrate dietary approach usually point to the lack of long-term studies. The change of diet described here in combination with the usual diabetes care has produced long periods of increased well-being in these patients. It is significant that 44 % of the patients have had a stable weight or have reduced it further and all but one had a lower weight at 22 months than at the beginning of the study. Twenty-five % of the patients had previously been dieting continuously and another 50 % had tried to lose weight many times. The reasons they gave for not continuing their previous weight loss programs were 1) constant hunger, and 2) no effect on bodyweight despite strict calorie counting and fat reduction. The lack of hunger and cravings with the low-carbohydrate diet may be an important reason for their present success.

http://nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/22

This is another using a Ketogenic diet.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/34

Note: table 5 shows the reduction in medication, probably one of the reasons no long term studies have been carried out.

http://nutritionandmetabolism.com/conte ... 9/table/T1

Anyhow a warm welcome to the LC forum I’m so glad you’ve seen the errors of your ways :wink: .

Kind Regards
Graham

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Where's my buddy Phoenix gone I didn't object to her posting here. :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I didn't do it. :?

Doczoc

graham64 said:
Where's my buddy Phoenix gone I didn't object to her posting here. :shock:

Phoenix is a quality poster, I might not agree with her but she always adds to the debate.

graham64

Dislikes
It's a pity I was hoping to wean her off those jacket potatoes :D