ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I check things out on their website all the time and have never came across anything like that, big shop or not it should show up on there as well xx

You are right.. I was on my way out and asked my mum whereabouts in tesco it was and she said it wasn't it was sainsburys.. to be honest though I'm not sorry to tesco as they do exactly the same and its their site I got the example for the petition from from their 'healthy living' range.. but you are correct x

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well my sister and mum were going to Tesco (not a Tesco Express this is a HUGE Tescos in Streatham, London) to grab some food for lunch (sandwiches etc for them) and asked if I wanted a salad or something.. I said I think you will find it difficult to find anything pre-prepared that is low carb as it all comes with pasta or sauce that has carbs but I'd be happy with a bag of salad and some chicken or something..

They returned with a pre-packaged chicken with salad which had a little tub of ranch sauce and said they did indeed find something low carb (I have been diabetic for 30 years my sister is 4 years younger than me and has a law degree and a masters in psychology she is not daft). I looked at the back of the packet and it had 26g carbohydrate in it. Obviously the carbs were in the dressing so I chucked it and got some mayo which has virtually no carbs in it https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/264365273.

I have 3 points to make about this..

Firstly there is absolutely no excuse to put 26g of carbs(sugar whether it comes directly from sugar it makes no difference) in a dressing with something that anyone would assume to be a really healthy salad. They could have put mayo with it and it would then actually be healthy.

Secondly if my sister, who is intelligent and has grown up with me having 'brittle' diabetes (turns out brittle means more susceptible to insulin resistance) and always looking at the back of the packet to see how many carbs are in it can be fooled by the misleading **** in the traffic light box then what chance does anyone have.

Thirdly, where is the 'helpful' traffic light table that you see on all 'healthy' food that has low added sugar? It really seems to me it generally only appears on the food that is low in added sugar but has loads of carbs in it.

I just feel like crying, ok by now I actually am I admit. I have started this petition to have carbs added to the front of all packaging so people know what they are consuming but it just feels like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. My sister tells me that I shouldn't be saying the food industry are deliberately trying to mislead people but they are not acknowledging that carbs exist at all and find a way to add them to just about every pre-packaged snack or ready meal.

Here is a link to my petition if anyone does agree with me. But I just feel so disheartened and fed up. I have lost so much to diabetes (I'm registered blind, I had charcots foot, have lost 2.5 toes on my right foot incl big toe, severe internal and external neuropathy, impaired kidney function etc etc) and all these people are getting T2 diabetes (which I now see is worse than controlled T1 as by definition their blood sugars are out of control as mine were (I really have to stay very low carb as I get insulin resistance easily). I genuinely want to help stop the same **** happening to others. It's not like I'm the first one to realise that if things are going wrong you need to reduce your carb intake sometimes drastically at first to get your insulin sensitivity back, but our voices are drowned by the constant stream of misleading and confusing information coming from the food and pharmaceutical industry. Trying to educate people that all carbs raise our blood sugar levels and if your blood sugars are out of control you are consuming to many is just turning me into a joke. Why am I bothering.. I'm spending my own fkn money on fb ads to try and help people and people just think I'm a nut job. I must be!

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/display-carbohydrate-value-on-front-of-all-food-packaging

Rant over. Thanks for listening if you got this far.

Signed xxx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are right.. I was on my way out and asked my mum whereabouts in tesco it was and she said it wasn't it was sainsburys.. to be honest though I'm not sorry to tesco as they do exactly the same and its their site I got the example for the petition from from their 'healthy living' range.. but you are correct x
Are you sure you read the pack correctly? I only ask as I've just looked at Sainsbury's online and if this is the product https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/g...the-go-chicken-salad-with-ranch-dressing-170g then its 2.6g carb not 26g xx

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: dbr10

JohnEB

Hi. I've been a T2 for about 18 yrs. I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I would like to add to them my comments on sell by date inf. Which is always hidden somewhere on the package. In my opinion all information should be printed BOLDLY on the packages. I also have a further gripe. I have been a widower for the las 3 yrs and consequently have to fend for myself. Supermarkets think it's ok to market food in packs suitable for 2 and more often than not four people. The advice I'm given is to freeze the extra portion. Over time this has caused my freezer to fill up, presenting me with an unappetising conglomeration of food. I find this extends to magazines which give advice on recipes, usually suggesting meals for 4!! Come on, get a grip!

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well my sister and mum were going to Tesco (not a Tesco Express this is a HUGE Tescos in Streatham, London) to grab some food for lunch (sandwiches etc for them) and asked if I wanted a salad or something.. I said I think you will find it difficult to find anything pre-prepared that is low carb as it all comes with pasta or sauce that has carbs but I'd be happy with a bag of salad and some chicken or something..

They returned with a pre-packaged chicken with salad which had a little tub of ranch sauce and said they did indeed find something low carb (I have been diabetic for 30 years my sister is 4 years younger than me and has a law degree and a masters in psychology she is not daft). I looked at the back of the packet and it had 26g carbohydrate in it. Obviously the carbs were in the dressing so I chucked it and got some mayo which has virtually no carbs in it https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/264365273.

I have 3 points to make about this..

Firstly there is absolutely no excuse to put 26g of carbs(sugar whether it comes directly from sugar it makes no difference) in a dressing with something that anyone would assume to be a really healthy salad. They could have put mayo with it and it would then actually be healthy.

Secondly if my sister, who is intelligent and has grown up with me having 'brittle' diabetes (turns out brittle means more susceptible to insulin resistance) and always looking at the back of the packet to see how many carbs are in it can be fooled by the misleading **** in the traffic light box then what chance does anyone have.

Thirdly, where is the 'helpful' traffic light table that you see on all 'healthy' food that has low added sugar? It really seems to me it generally only appears on the food that is low in added sugar but has loads of carbs in it.

I just feel like crying, ok by now I actually am I admit. I have started this petition to have carbs added to the front of all packaging so people know what they are consuming but it just feels like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. My sister tells me that I shouldn't be saying the food industry are deliberately trying to mislead people but they are not acknowledging that carbs exist at all and find a way to add them to just about every pre-packaged snack or ready meal.

Here is a link to my petition if anyone does agree with me. But I just feel so disheartened and fed up. I have lost so much to diabetes (I'm registered blind, I had charcots foot, have lost 2.5 toes on my right foot incl big toe, severe internal and external neuropathy, impaired kidney function etc etc) and all these people are getting T2 diabetes (which I now see is worse than controlled T1 as by definition their blood sugars are out of control as mine were (I really have to stay very low carb as I get insulin resistance easily). I genuinely want to help stop the same **** happening to others. It's not like I'm the first one to realise that if things are going wrong you need to reduce your carb intake sometimes drastically at first to get your insulin sensitivity back, but our voices are drowned by the constant stream of misleading and confusing information coming from the food and pharmaceutical industry. Trying to educate people that all carbs raise our blood sugar levels and if your blood sugars are out of control you are consuming to many is just turning me into a joke. Why am I bothering.. I'm spending my own fkn money on fb ads to try and help people and people just think I'm a nut job. I must be!

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/display-carbohydrate-value-on-front-of-all-food-packaging

Rant over. Thanks for listening if you got this far.

Hi I will sign this too. My frustration is also with all the low carb advise, recipes, suggestions advertised on here and other diabetes sites all require registration and personal information. This stops me using them. I have enough to put up with I really don't need anymore spam mail thank you

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Signed

The problem is, the food industry has been fooling us and lying to us for ages.

Take the low fat yoghurt that doesn’t tell you it’s got far more sugar than normal yoghurt.

You cannot trust the industry to self govern. It’s like putting a turkey in charge of Xmas dinner.