Low Carb programme

merlinsmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Massive shout out to the Low Carb Programme. My HBa1c was 89 in August. Scary! After following the low carb diet and programme since then, alongside metformin 1500 daily, I have lost over 7kg in weight and my HBa1c is now 47. I haven't been this weight for 20 years. BMI 23, my body fat percentage is within normal range for my age and I have loads more energy which is no bad thing for a senior citizen. I can lower the metformin dose if I want to now. It's nice to be given the personal choice. I was hoping for a reduction in HBa1c but not this much. Wow! Thank you. Can't recommend the programme enough. All I have to do now is get my head round the recommendations for continued healthy eating and more carbs on your website so I don't lose anymore weight.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done. You joined the programme, but after that it was all down to you - you put the work in!

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Massive shout out to the Low Carb Programme. My HBa1c was 89 in August. Scary! After following the low carb diet and programme since then, alongside metformin 1500 daily, I have lost over 7kg in weight and my HBa1c is now 47. I haven't been this weight for 20 years. BMI 23, my body fat percentage is within normal range for my age and I have loads more energy which is no bad thing for a senior citizen. I can lower the metformin dose if I want to now. It's nice to be given the personal choice. I was hoping for a reduction in HBa1c but not this much. Wow! Thank you. Can't recommend the programme enough. All I have to do now is get my head round the recommendations for continued healthy eating and more carbs on your website so I don't lose anymore weight.

Very well done on your achievements, @merlinsmum .

One thing I will say is there is no reason to increase carbs to maintain a stable weight, if you don't want to.

After diagnosis, I trimmed up (didn't carry LOTS of weight), but in the interim, almost 10 years, I have maintained carb levels at largely the same as when I was losing. I can eat more carbs now as my insulin resistance appears to have improved, but just don't really bother. My weight is stable. In the intervening period I have not faded to a shadow. :)

For me, the stop (losing weight) and stay (a stable weight) was not immediate. To stabilise my weight, I slightly increased portions a bit, then added a bit more protein then a bit more fat - the process was incremental. Some folks find when they reach a "decent" weight, they just stop losing. We're all a bit different.

It's up to you how you proceed beyond this point, but I just wanted to point out you don't HAVE to increase carbs to stabilise your weight.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you, it's always great to see very positive results of the work you put in.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done.
Although my weight dropped dramatically, I haven't consciously increased carbs.
My weight has since gone up about 10lbs from my lowest, over 2 years. I suppose because I now eat to my hunger I sometimes eat too much, but its not carbs