1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Privacy is important: just a reminder that your posts can be seen by members of the public Guest.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb recipes to take to a holiday dinner & relatives

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Chronicle_Cat, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend low carb recipes to take to a holiday dinner? (perhaps a vegetable dish and low carb sugarfree dessert?.).

My mother-in-law has invited us (husband, daughter & son-in-law) to her place for Canadian Thanksgiving dinner (the first Sunday in October). She's serving turkey (which I can have although I'll skip the stuffing and the gravy.) I know she'll serve stuff I can't eat like potatoes and buns (although she also makes lovely green salads.) I've offered to bring a dish (or two) to share and I want to be sure it's something I can eat.

She doesn't approve of my low carb eating - her older sister is also Type 2 and eats "everything" (her sister is 90, on meds and doesn't have a lot of years left to develop complications.) The last time I saw her, my mother-in-law told me that my diet is "extreme" (because I would not eat lemon chicken from a Chinese takeaway). I've told her that it's been approved by my doctor to lower my blood sugar (who told me to reduce carbs and wanted me change my diet before considering meds.). By then, I should have my followup hb1ac results.

Suggestions welcome.

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Chronicle_Cat

You could try this recipe. I simply replace the sugar with erythritol (sure other sweeteners would work). Ground almonds work just as well as the suggested almond flour (and much cheaper). It’s delicious and non low carb friends love it. Serve with extra thick double cream.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake

What about a big dish of cauliflower cheese to share too? I simply par boil cauliflower florets, put in a dish with a dash of cream, top with mature cheddar and Parmesan and bake. Goes well with a roast too.

Happy thanksgiving!

On your other point it really, really annoys me when people say I’m fussy or extreme because of the way I eat. Do they say that to vegetarians or those who are gluten free? Have started calling it out now.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

Cauliflower cheese is a great roast dish that everyone seems to like. I often put some broccoli in to, with a cup a double cream. As said part boil, then add cream, pop in oven for 20min then remove lid and sprinkle grated cheese on top for last 15mins.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Canvaspic

Canvaspic Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

The simplest desert is sugar free jelly. I put some frozen raspberries in the bottom. Serve with full fat greek yogurt, or cream or creme fresh. Takes 2 mins to make.
    A more complicated desert would be low carb cheesecake. Good receipy on diet doctor, I think.
    I have yet to make, but i have seen some receips for mug cake, looks easy enough. Videos on youtube.

• Like Like x 1
  5. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes!
    I don't eat meat and am often told I am fussy.
    Can't comment on the gluten free.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

Oh that chocolate cake looks lovely Goonergal, I'm definitely going to try it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Chronicle_Cat - If you look through any of the LC bloggers, I'm sure you'll find plenty of stuff, like this: https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/top-20-low-carb-thanksgiving-recipes/

I'd think of places like, ibreatheimhungry, sugarfreemom, twosleevers (and then filter accordingly) for starters. Dr Google can be your friend on this one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ann1982

Ann1982 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make a very low carb, sugar free and lactose free trifle. I make up a sugar free jelly with some berries in in. Once set I add a cold lactose free custard. There are carbs in the custard powder but because I have so little it’s a treat for me. I then put whipped lactose free cream on top. Lower carb but tasty. My daughter in law is lactose intolerant and absolutely adores this treat. I use some sweetener in the custard but the cream doesn’t need it unless you have someone with a very sweet tooth. Hope this is an idea to try. Have a great thanksgiving when it comes!

9. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

@Goonergal, just came back to say I've made that cake a couple of times when entertaining and its amazing! Very popular with non diabetics.
    I use ground almonds and xylitol for sugar.
    Thank you so much for the link.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook