1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low-Carb Religion

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Colin Crowhurst, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Colin Crowhurst

Colin Crowhurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just a thought, and whilst a bit tongue-in-cheek perhaps if we claimed "low-Carb" as a religion we could get our "special" food as a religious requirement in hospitals etc........

Love to hear a lawyer (qualified NOT bar-room!) explain how it would not work.......

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cocosilk

Cocosilk Gestational · Well-Known Member

Maybe if enough people request a Low Carb option it will one day be included on hospital lists just as Vegetarian options are included by personal choice.
    https://www.stmarysathens.org/health-and-wellness/nutrition/special-diets/

That would be a shorter path than expecting them to review the "Diabetic diet" which shouldn't really be a one-size-fits-all diet anyway, should it?

I wonder though if the medically specific diets override those that are made by choice though. We all just need to keep asking for what we want I think.

The private hospital where I recently gave birth didn’t even have eggs as an option on their breakfast menu. I had to make a special request to have them. And then they were cooked in a horrible tasting seed oil rather than butter. But I figured better that than eat cornflakes...

3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Might make food tax-deductible? Lol.
    Maybe easier to provide own food for hospital and ask for a rebate off charges ( e.g in countries without universal healthcare or if private health insurance does not provide full cover.
    In Australia the biggest manufacturer of breakfast cereals in owned by a reigious sect and thus pays no taxes but can then use that money otherwise saved on influencing the public, health professiomals, and students in Health, Governments, even one health professional regulation body.
    So one may need to be careful what one wishes for !

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I will stick with the Salvos, you always seem to get a decent meal from them...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I think claiming it as a religion would make us all look like a bunch of radical loonies.... :D

In the mean time, just keep asking for real food if they can't provide or you can't get down to the cafeteria or don't have someone who can for you. You may end up in a few lively "discussions", but that's one way to pass time in hospital. :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From an evolutionary standpoint, low carbohydrate eating is just a normal human diet. No religion required.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

...Wait... I'm not already a radical looney then? ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. kitedoc

Ha! @JoKalsbeek ,
    We are all on the way, against the perfidious Big Food and all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ha! Try reporting your dieteary habits as vegan, diabetic, fairly low carb (by most medics' standards).

If I ever end up in hospital I'm going to get my husband to bring meals in or I will starve! Luckily we only live a ten minute car ride away.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Onward, Keto soldiers!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

How on earth do you expect to control the masses with that attitude? :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. Jim Lahey

BRB. Just giving Walter Willet a call...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Taken from another thread I posted in yesterday

Today I had another impromptu day in hospital. Interestingly when shown the menu (which I didn’t get to eat) they had every dietary option going except low carb as a separately available menu. The lad taking orders when I asked for low carb options offered sandwiches or jacket potatoes :eek:

Other food staff then informed me they did also have a special low carb menu as it had been asked for increasingly but they hadn’t listed it yet and would let me have it if I was still there later. They also hadn’t considered how useful knowing ingredients could be for those on special diets and would put that suggestion forward as another card to be made available along with the nutritional content they also have. All of these non standard menus and cards need to be asked for.

It does look promising but I didn’t actually test out what they thought was low carb so optimistic is the way I’m looking at it. The hospital has sacked burger king and installed an m&s cafe instead so I had already sent my companion rollioto shopping before I saw any menus.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. kitedoc

I understand that NICEguidelines have changed or being changed to put low carb diet as diet of scientifically proven best choice for T2Ds.
    . In this case the hospitals had better hop to and change the menus and make sure dietitians are up to speed.
    Meanwhile in Oz, the wheels of progress will have to run over Big Food to make it happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Jim Lahey

They’ll still cook or prepare everything in toxic machine lubricants, but baby steps, I guess...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. kitedoc

Now why not have sniffer dogs to prevent that food getting in?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Cocosilk

Cocosilk Gestational · Well-Known Member

Gotta keep asking I think.
    I saw a new GP today and while filling out the new patient forms I also proudly added and circled "low carb" as my special diet. They had low fat, vegetatian, and other medical ones but no low carb either.
    I also had to do A LOT of persuading to get my doctor to write a script for a HOMA-IR (insulin) test that I was hoping to do at the same time as my next GTT. She was really reluctant saying that the current way of diagnosing diabetes is evidence based, which I was not disputing anyway. I'd just read on the Diet Doctor that knowing your insulin levels is useful to know if you are insulin resistant due to a low carb diet or actually prediabetic. Will be harder for me to get a clear picture while eating low carb and breastfeeding as both can lower you blood glucose. Anyway, we'll see if I get away with it.

#17 Cocosilk, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  18. Cobia

Cobia LADA · Well-Known Member

Why not creat it as a religion?

In the mean time start a black market in real food. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Where did you read that about NICE Kitedoc? As I see ithe ship may be turning, but we're turning the QE2, not a laser dinghy.

I recently reviewed some proposed guidelines for PWD inpatients. Interesting reading.

20. Cobia

Cobia LADA · Well-Known Member

Get a bigger rudder. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook