Low Carb Resolution

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Its a pet peeve of mine that currently alcohol does not have to carry any kind of nutrition lebeling at all, so nearly all beers have no accurate carb info at all. As a rule beers generally have between 20-35g per pint, none that I ever heard of are zero carb.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I used to be rather fond of real ales but gave them, and other beers, up when I read somewhere how high the carb values are. For a few minutes there I thought I'd stumbled across a replacement, lol.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Its a pet peeve of mine that currently alcohol does not have to carry any kind of nutrition lebeling at all, so nearly all beers have no accurate carb info at all. As a rule beers generally have between 20-35g per pint, none that I ever heard of are zero carb.

Not quite as high as that, beer has around 10-15g of carbs per pint.

Reactions: 3 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Not quite as high as that, beer has around 10-15g of carbs per pint.
Hmmmm... .wondering if its worth trading half my total daily carbs for a pint!.....maybe an occasional half, lol. Thank you :)

big_daddy

You don't need to give up meat and swap for Quorn. Meat is carb free. I'm not sure, but suspect that Quorn isn't. I agree Qorn tastes nice, but I personally prefer a natural cooked from fresh ingredients diet.
Hana

I am not going to give up meat entirely, but my girlfriend has decided to become vegetarian and I want to support her change of diet. I am still going to eat chicken, pork, etc.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I used to be rather fond of real ales but gave them, and other beers, up when I read somewhere how high the carb values are. For a few minutes there I thought I'd stumbled across a replacement, lol.

6g in a bottle of Coors Light I can handle.

(Pity I used to like the dark triple brewed Belgian beers though)

Reactions: 3 people

mpe

It's not just the sugars though-you need the total grams of carbohydrate per bottle-it could be much higher and it does have a relevance.

"Sugars" is also fairly vague in itself. Total carbohydrate tends to be a more useful metric. (Especially with foods where most of the carbohydrates arn't "sugars".)
Unless sugars are added after the fermentation (or the wort was very high in sugars) beers tend to be low in sugars. Fermentation involves yeast converting glucose and maltose into ethanol (and carbon dioxide). (Since brewers yeast can, with some strains, survive at up to 22% ABV the usual limiting factor is the sugars in the wort.)
To a human drinking the beer amylopectin and amylose which affects the "body" of the beer, but are tasteless, are also a source of glucose. How much of these are present depends on the malting process.

mpe

Myfitnesspal can be massively innacurate, the data for many foods and especially drinks are crowdsourced, that is, anybody can create a food or drink entry and put whatever they like into the carbs section. i find the figure quoted for carbs to be suspiciously low for that particular product.

"Crowdsourced" can equate to "astroturfed".
That's in addition to many people simply not understanding that "total carbohydrates" can be a far more useful metric than "sugars".
Especially where "starches" are present. Which can often be the case with processed "grains" (and potatoes).
It's possible for something to be both "low sugar" and more than half glucose. (So far as the human body is concerned.)

mpe

i stand very happily corrected! i got those figures from a brewer site some months ago and I've been using them ever since
The figure is going to depend very much on the brewing process. Especially malting. As well as what you actually mean by a "carb".

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Pasta, potatoes, rice, bread (including enriched breads like crumpets) are generally not advisable for diabetics.

Although not generally advisable for diabetics I personally find that I can tolerate, at the moment at least, small amounts of all of those foods without any adverse effects. I do mean small amounts though and the only bread I can eat is one slice of Burgen soy and linseed. It just goes to show how different we all are and I realize that I am very lucky indeed. Maybe things won't change but I'm not banking on it! ;)

I have found that my wake-up Bg's are fairly high without me doing or eating anything at all, due I suppose to my liver dumping glucose to get me going in the morning, so my breakfast is no carb whatsoever, lunch is a wee bit but at my evening meal I can tolerate a fair bit so probably eat most of my carbs then. I have around 60g of carb per day. Remember there are some veges that are fairly high in carbs too. I have a small book which has the carb content of food in it, it's a great help.

Good luck big-daddy with your life changes, you CAN do this but it takes massive changes in ingrained habits. Do you have a blood meter? If not, try to get hold of one okay? And test test test, I found it's the only way to really know what's going on :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol bears eat raw fish, thats why your tongue went blue even though your trying to hide it now, we all know its still blue :)

my mum is very anemic (cant spell it) and she made us eat liver all the time as kids as its apparently high in iron, ack ack ack!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lol bears eat raw fish, thats why your tongue went blue even though your trying to hide it now, we all know its still blue :)

my mum is very anemic (cant spell it) and she made us eat liver all the time as kids as its apparently high in iron, ack ack ack!

I do eat raw fish, and I love it in fact. Blue tongue is quite normal for polar bear. Almost raw calves liver is one of my (many) guilty pleasures. i is a gastronomical sort of Polar bear.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol, my dad used to eat anything and i do mean anything, he used to eat hearts which still had the tubes coming out of them :yuck: as a kid this was unbelievable, we was once given a dead duck someone had shot and he quacked as he plucked out each feathers with us kids watching, he has given me my weird feelings towards meat, lol

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have eaten raw fermented herring in the past when I worked with Swedes who thought this was a good idea. i must admit I did wonder how bad things must have got during those long winters in the north that could possibly convince anyone that eating someething that smelt like an open sewer was a good idea. i did convince myself that if I could just sneak the bit of almost liquid fish past my nose and into my mouth it would be delicious. i was very, very wrong.

Reactions: 2 people