Low Carb Resolution

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have eaten raw fermented herring in the past when I worked with Swedes who thought this was a good idea. i must admit I did wonder how bad things must have got during those long winters in the north that could possibly convince anyone that eating someething that smelt like an open sewer was a good idea. i did convince myself that if I could just sneak the bit of almost liquid fish past my nose and into my mouth it would be delicious. i was very, very wrong.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Surströmming?

I've never managed to try that, so it's as bad as it's supposed to be then?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, the very same. Absolutely foul, and I am always prepared to try something before condemning it. Strangely i find cold jugged hare equally nasty, but nothing else comes anywhere close.

big_daddy

I bought some frozen and mixed berries & currants from Aldi yesterday with some Fat Free Natural Yoghurt and just had some now with 2 Weetabix biscuits after having a blood sugar reading of 12.7. I will test again at in two hours.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Have you lost any weight yet? How are you doing with your resolution?

Personally, I wouldn't class Weetabix as Low Carb, so it will be interesting to see your results later. Please let us all know. Was your 12.7 a fasting result..

What have you got planned for later?

Cara

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick thought. Keep an eye on the fat free yoghurt as many producers Add me if you like. id: madbazoo sugar to make it taste better. Look at the nutrition information on the carton.

big_daddy

Hi

Have you lost any weight yet? How are you doing with your resolution?

Personally, I wouldn't class Weetabix as Low Carb, so it will be interesting to see your results later. Please let us all know. Was your 12.7 a fasting result..

What have you got planned for later?

Cara

I haven't lost any weight yet and my post blood sugar results was 17.2 and yes that was a fasting result. I am currently taking 2 500g metformin and 2 80mg gliclazide twice a day.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick thought. Keep an eye on the fat free yoghurt as many producers Add me if you like. id: madbazoo sugar to make it taste better. Look at the nutrition information on the carton.

I second this. About a week after being diagnosed my Mom and I went down the dairy aisle checking every single yoghurt... and the only ones not loaded with carbs/sugar are the Full Fat Greek Style ones. Some of the low fat ones are absolutely loaded with sugar. Initially it was disappointing, but you do get used to a good greek yoghurt after a while!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I second this. About a week after being diagnosed my Mom and I went down the dairy aisle checking every single yoghurt... and the only ones not loaded with carbs/sugar are the Full Fat Greek Style ones. Some of the low fat ones are absolutely loaded with sugar. Initially it was disappointing, but you do get used to a good greek yoghurt after a while!

How many carbs are in full fat yoghurt?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
My lidl full fat greek yog has 3.2g carbs per 100g.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's what puzzled me, as I keep reading that low fat yoghurt is loaded with sugar?

Tesco finest 0% fat, 4.3g carb per 100g
Cheap stuff, still only 4.8g per 100g
Even my Muller light, which is a fruit yoghurt, only has 7.5g, and that's mainly the fruit.

Although I have switched to Alpro, 2.1g carbs, and only 2.3g fat per 125g. Low carb, and low fat.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There's an awful lot that were in the mid-to-late teens... Rachels, Sainbury's own, spring to mind.
Currently being on a modified version of the Atkins induction, a 100g of Rachel's yoghurt could almost blow a whole days carbs.
Even when I was on a moderately low carb diet, I couldn't justify the spike in blood sugar that my favourite cherry mullerlight brought me.

I'm at Mr Luceeloo's house tonight, so don't have my own fridge to check, but I think my staple-go-to Fage Total is 3.8g per 100g.

I did find a new one that was zero fat, and is delicious but quite difficult to get hold of - Liberte Greek Yoghurt, that's 2.something g.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I've changed from weetabix to weight watchers frommage fraiche and berries for break fast. I tried natural yoghurt but didn't like it.
Lunch is as low carb as I can get it but I struggle around 3pm when I crave a biscuit . Tea time is meat and veg with small amount of potato and bs usually pretty stable. Had home made lentil soup tonight then sausage and veg and small portion of potato .... felt awful, bs higher than its been ( diet controlled diagnosed 7 months) 14.7
Could it be the lentil soup?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think it was yellow lentils that got me, but green were ok for some strange reason. But it varies from person to person, but I'd guess yes for you.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I reckon it was the lentil soup. On top of sausages and potatoes that would be quite a big carb load.... certainly too much for me, I can't eat either of those, lol. That mid afternoon hunger pang you're getting......could you have some almonds to chew on? Also, are you having enough protein at lunch time? I get the munchies about five and find a few almonds and a cuppa or some water, usually works. You're doing well with breakfast! I have bacon, egg and mushrooms. It's my big start to the day :)

Reactions: 2 people

lorac2608

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians
Back to the beer, carbs & cals book says a pint of beer 4% 17carbs 170cals, larger 4% 8carbs 187cals , cider dry 5% 15carbs 204cals & red wine 250ml 1carb, 179cals. So in my reckoning red wine must be good for you.;)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Back to the beer, carbs & cals book says a pint of beer 4% 17carbs 170cals, larger 4% 8carbs 187cals , cider dry 5% 15carbs 204cals & red wine 250ml 1carb, 179cals. So in my reckoning red wine must be good for you.;)

From the few I found, those seem low for the pints.
The other thing to bear in mind is brands and styles vary enormously, so check out your particular favourite by name if you can.

big_daddy

I like the Tesco everyday value 2% lager as each 440ml can contains
Energy 320kJ (80kcal)
Protein 1.3g
Carbohydrate 4.4g
Fat 0.4g
Alcohol 7.0g

I have a question about a healthy topping to have on a jacket potato as I'm having one with my parents as they want to eat more healthy.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your girlfriend and parents are heading one way with their diet, and you must head another way. Going vegetarian or "eating more healthy" often means eating more carbs and less meat and dairy. You need to do the opposite and make Your health a priority rather than trying to support them. Have you seen this website for ideas on how to eat what's healthy for you?
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Reactions: 5 people