Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, anyone got any quick n easy to do , savoury snacks to nibble? I am running out of quick easy to do savoury snack ideas.... it's always good to get other persons quick fix ideas n use them to add variety n fresh tastes to my own. Anna.x :)

louiseb

I usually have some nuts or cheese or berries.
but at the weekends when I have time I bake a batch of low carb muffins and pancakes then freeze them.
I can then defrost them in the microwave individually when I need them, I just adapt normal receipes by replacing the flour with ground almonds and the sugar with splenda.

SandieB

I know this has been up here for a while, but thought I would just say that I make cheese crisps and keep them in an airtight box. These are made by putting a piece of baking parchment on a plate, adding a little pile of grated cheese not too high and zapping it in the microwave for as long as it takes to melt and start to go firm. Then turn it onto a piece of kitchen paper to absorb the fat, and peel the paper away, it should be quite firm and will become crispy when it's completely cold. Timings vary with different cheeses. You can use the piece of parchment over and over till you've made as many as you want. It's a bit time consuming but I don't do them every day, and they certainly take away the craving for crisps. I understand that you can also do them in the oven or in a heavy based frying pan, but I've never tried it.

Enjoy!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
parmesan cheese crisps made in the oven are nice - just done as like Sandyb says but in the oven - cleriac crisps - thin slices of celraic deep fried - need to eat these right away though.

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Savoury crackers

Ground Almonds - about 100 to 150gms
Grated cheddar - as much or as little as you like but they do need some to bind them together (you can add some grated parmesan too if you like it strong)
chopped garlic (optional) or chopped fresh herbs
Salt and pepper to taste.
A little dribble of water to bind it together.

Mix all together in a bowl and press onto a greased/and or lined baking tray.

Bake in a medium oven - around 160c for 20 minutes.

As soon as you remove from the oven, mark out portions with a knife then leave to cool. If you have marked the portions deep enough you should be able to break them apart easily. Store in an airtight tin.

Some people like to rebake them to make them even crisper.

Warning - they are VERY more-ish. And eating too many isn't very low-carb......

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
SandieB said:
I know this has been up here for a while, but thought I would just say that I make cheese crisps and keep them in an airtight box. These are made by putting a piece of baking parchment on a plate, adding a little pile of grated cheese not too high and zapping it in the microwave for as long as it takes to melt and start to go firm. Then turn it onto a piece of kitchen paper to absorb the fat, and peel the paper away, it should be quite firm and will become crispy when it's completely cold. Timings vary with different cheeses. You can use the piece of parchment over and over till you've made as many as you want. It's a bit time consuming but I don't do them every day, and they certainly take away the craving for crisps. I understand that you can also do them in the oven or in a heavy based frying pan, but I've never tried it.

Enjoy!
:D