Low carb snacks

Hi all, my partner is type 1 diabetic and is currently on his Danfne course so we are getting our heads around the changes we need to make. My partner loves to snack and he has just spent the last 30minutes searching our cupboards for something to eat under 10g of carbs (so he doesn't have to take extra insulin).

Please can you share your snack ideas that you enjoy so I can stock our cupboards tomorrow. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited:

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not type 2 but i like to find low carb snacks for the very reason i dont want to inject all the time. Babybel cheese is a favourite. Or olives and cheese. Or nuts. The graze bags are nice for a small snack as often there's a combo of carbs, nuts and pulses. Or bags of pork crackling. Yum!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 098

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My partner loves to snack and he has just spent the last 30minutes searching our cupboards for something to eat under 10g of carbs (so he doesn't have to take extra insulin).

Nairn's do a Cheese Oatcake, they are very nice and each one has 3.7g of carbs.

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pork scratching for me, also high percentage cocoa chocolate, I like Aldi's 70% its 5 individual portions 7g carbs each or Lindt 70,80%.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @098 ..
For me snacks are: boiled egg mashed up in mayo, cold cuts of meat, porl scratchings, Babybel, cheese chunks (1 cu cm approx), olives or celery sticks with full fat cream cheese. I don't eat nuts because I don't like them ..
Hope this helps

Reactions: martin1111

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2, but enjoy the following low carb snacks, one or two squares of 85% chocolate, 25g of mixed plain nuts and Hartleys sugar free jellies. I also make carb free milk shakes with unsweetened roasted almond milk and no added sugar Crusha milkshake syrup.

Reactions: marathonmona

Poppyeliza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Slices of cheese and ham or other deli meats are good. I also enjoy coleslaw (homemade) so you know what is involved. There are so many things now that are great for T1D's :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Walnuts and blue cheese are one of my favourite snacks
CAROL

nlstudebaker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every single day I have a chocolate whey drink, made with one scoop of chocolate whey (about 25 g of protein and about 2 or 3 g of carbs) made with 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I just put it into a blender bottle (a plastic bottle with a little wisk type ball in it). Its a delicious "chocolate milk" treat, that even lowers my blood sugar! I like it at night, too - if I am a bit hungry, and it totally fills me up. Do a google search on the effects of whey protein for diabetics. Good evidence that it really helps us. There is one article that suggests having in the morning, before eating a higher carb breakfast, can help lower the resulting BG. Try it!!!! I'm in the US, and my favorite is Optimum Nutrition, and can also get on Amazon. There are a lot of flavors, but milk chocolate is my favorite, and vanilla ice cream. There is a blueberry cheesecake one, too that I like!

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Nuts for me either as an instant snack or , if I have almonds, to liquidize them with a few berries ( I use the frozen ones) a packet of stevia, half an avocado a drop of vanilla and a half pint of cold water to give an amazing smoothie

ValWoodward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I agree that nuts and cheese are the easiest way to go. I have a nuts, cheese and apple box for lunch on work days. My problem is variety for breakfast. Sometimes eggs are just not appealing!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I agree that nuts and cheese are the easiest way to go. I have a nuts, cheese and apple box for lunch on work days. My problem is variety for breakfast. Sometimes eggs are just not appealing!
I got fed up with eggs for breakfast and by appealing on this forum I now have Greek yoghurt and berries or low carb pancakes:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/lchf-pancakes-with-berries-and-whipped-cream/servings/1
Or low carb coconut porridge:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/coconut-porridge