Low carb + some IF: Good results fast

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought I would share. For context, my last blood work was back in August. At that time, my test numbers were creeping up, but my doctor and I decided to "hold the line" on meds at metformin + sglt2. Since August, I have been eating somewhere between SAD and low-carb, but not really doing enough to make a difference, then I started proper LCHF and some easy IF around the start of Feb. Three weeks in to the new regime, I had blood tests done in prep for my GP visit.

The results: Every health marker tested for has improved. HDL up, LDL down, trigs down, ratios improved A1c almost in non-diabetic range (6.1% currently, with 6-6.5 classed as "pre-diabetec"). Fasting glucose has improved but is still 7.4.
The caveats:
  • I have not yet adjusted my meds, so I still have a ton of work to do
  • On the other hand, this was only 3 weeks, and who knows what my numbers might have been just before I started.

The even better news is, I discussed Keto and IF with my GP, and he was very supportive, and told me that clinically, this is what they see working as far as lifestyle interventions go. This was very inspiring to me for a couple of reasons. First it's good to have a GP who is on-board for what I have decided I need to do. I know from these forums that not everyone is that lucky. More importantly, this was NOT his position a year and a half ago when I started discussing reversal protocols with him. At that time, I was looking into the Newcastle protocol, and his advice was to limit carbs somewhat, but to eat a balanced diet including whole grains. It's also a big change since my diagnosis, when he gave me the standard story about T2 being chronic, progressive and unavoidable.

So my take-aways:
  • The medical community is changing to a new message. Not quickly, and not wholesale, but there is hope
  • The pioneers who are driving this new understanding of T2 are really on to something, and we don't need to fear going against the orthodoxy.
  • Bacon and butter are not going to tank your lipid profile. This was important for me, as I have come to believe it rationally, but a lifetime of "low-fat" advice is hard to shake psychologically, so this gives me more confidence to keep going.
Cheers

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Don't stress about the fasting Glucose because for most this is the last thing that reduces, I'm now in the pre-diabetic range for HbA1C, and have been there for over 6 months, yet my liver still dumps glucose and gives me the Dawn Phenomenon - just not quite as much as when I first started. I recall several members said that it can take years to get the fasting glucose down.

Reactions: Roggg