LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Low carbing for the last week

Hi

I have been low carbing for the last week having decided after reading this forum that it made sense.

I have not lost any weight, I am not in ketosis and my BG is still not great. It was 12.4 this morning... :shock:

I am having eggs for breakfast, cooked meat with a handful of salad for lunch and then something like a pork chop with mushrooms or cauliflower for dinner - no potatoes, nor rice, no bread, no pasta. I am having a little bit of milk in my tea...

Am I doing something wrong? I don't know if it is relevant but I take slow release metformin (2X1000) and gliclazide (2X80) every day.

Any advice appreciated! :?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
That diet looks good.

A sudden & complete carb reduction may be the cause - your body will generate blood glucose because it is used to you running at a high level - just as drastic calorie reduction can put your body in "starvation mode" to resist weight loss & fat reduction. There is what is called the "dawn effect" where a measurement in the morning is significantly greater than in the night.

What was your fasting BG & your HbA1c before you started?

As you are taking gliclazide you will need to beware of hypos, as it can take your BG very low. That isn't a problem with metf.

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks IanD - I am getting higher readings in the morning than at night.

I'll just keep on with the diet and see what happens - I test a few times a day now so hopefully I will notice if my BG is getting too low.

My fasting BG was much higher before I started this diet... in the 20's.... The doctor increased my medication about three weeks ago but it wasn't really helping. I has a really high HBa1c (11.4) and that is when I discovered that my fasting BG was so high - before this I had not routinely tested as I was not allowed strips on prescription...

josie369

Hi, I'm new to this site. I don't really know how it works but I really need to ask a question about low carbing so here goes... hopefully I'll get some replys!
So i've been type 1 diabetic now for just 2 years now and for the last 5 months i've been low carbing. Not drastically I don't feel, around 80 - 120 grams of carbs a day (not low carb compared to alot of you I know!) but it's low carb for a 20 year old student! Since doing this i've lost around 18 pounds. Beforehand my BMI was slightly low and my nurse was worried, now it's very low and she's worried even more so and has told me I need to start eating more carbs. The thing is, I find low carbs make my bg levels so much better! Also, i'm not really eating that low carbs am I? Compared to lots of people so why is it affected me so much? Also, I know its not a nice subject but i've also been very constipated for around 4 months which my nurse also blames on the low carb. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

Fallenstar

Hi Josie Welcome to the forum
I like you are Type 1 and low carb...a lot lower than you for a lot of the time, infact I'm just getting back into Ketosis after letting it slide over Christmas..and I feel SOOOO much better for it.

I find from time to time I lose too much weight,so though my control is so much better on this diet and I feel great. I do get a bit thin sometimes.
Can you give us some examples of a typical days eating?

I find that I have had to increase the amount of food I eat, I eat a lot more calories now...which for a little piggy like me was not a bad thing. You may need to introduce more fat into your diet. Don't be afraid of fat, good fats ,olive oil, Avocado oil..butter ,cream, and I eat coconut oil off the spoon if my weight drops too much...I'm finding I won't need this for a while after my Christmas fall from grace :lol:

Avocados are good for weight gain, also nuts...I make Pancakes for breakfast with Ground almonds,cream and eggs, with a bit of corn flour to hold them together...have these with some whipped cream and berries.

Good meat with lots of fruit and veg is the staple of my diet on the whole...the whole rainbow of colors is what I aim for as much as possible.

Hope some of this may help, take a look in the recipe section ,get baking some of those fab cakes and I'm sure you will start to pick up a bit of weight. My Cholesterol is the best its ever been! And like you I have found it gives me the most stable control.
Good luck :D

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Gone low carb in the last couple of months and in the last week or so suddenly i am getting figures of 4.8/5 when testing. When diagosed in July last year, 13.8 was the average, so its really working for me. Its thanks to this forum that this as been realised. I can and will stick to this. Thank you all everso much for the help. I cant thank you all enough.

Andy

Dislikes
CARBS
I have been on a low carb lifestyle for about 5 months now and have lost 53lbs from 224 to 171! It has been the easiest way I have ever lost weight and I love it!