1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb vegan food

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Mel dCP, Jun 3, 2019.

1. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great - I'll use my normal stuff. I press it under the heaviest chopping board with extra weights on top!. Comes out very solid.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I must try making some when I break up from school!

• Like Like x 2
  3. WuTwo

I thought it would be difficult but it's one of the easiest things I've ever done. Just make sure you get decent nigari.

To start with I got some from Amazon and had three failures in a row. Was very disheartened. Then I got some from Ebay, direct from Japan. Brilliant!

I use this method

https://www.messyvegancook.com/quick-and-easy-home-made-tofu/

Works every time! You can use anything as a mould for the tofu, as long as it has drainage holes. A colander is OK, just bear in mind whatever you use is the shape your chunk of tofu will come out as.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Mel dCP

Very fast curry!

I fried off a load of sliced mushrooms and diced courgettes in a dollop of madras curry paste and added the Vivera “chicken”. After a couple of minutes I squeezed a whole tube of the tomato paste in, let it cook down and added the Alpro coconut yogurt. Chucked the spinach in, put the lid on, and let it wilt down for a few minutes - the liquid from that made a good sauce from quite a dry mix. Served and scoffed. Took maybe 15 minutes to cook on a high heat in a non stick wok. Omnivore husbeast that isn’t keen on green veg absolutely loved it!

12g carbs
    21g fat
    31g protein

D934AB13-9F74-4C5E-8DD0-4F93CF577F08.jpeg B708973B-F889-4AE3-8C92-80DE7A7745B0.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Guna108

Guna108 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This looks delicious. Do you think aubergines would work in place of the mushrooms?

6. Mel dCP

Very much so, I use them a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  7. WuTwo

Thanks @Mel dCP - that looks scrumptious! I think it'd go brilliantly for Wednesday! (Tonight is vegan jambalaya with much reduced rice, and lots of extra veggies).

8. Mel dCP

Meatless Farm burgers with pea shoot salad, soya yogurt dressing and a splodge of lime pickle. 9g carb if I add the pickle!

62D00F72-3FBE-4960-8B94-283B2C42B041.jpeg 620990C7-5685-4952-8391-3991C1B5CF26.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook