Low carb vegan food

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Always as firm as possible!

Great - I'll use my normal stuff. I press it under the heaviest chopping board with extra weights on top!. Comes out very solid.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I must try making some when I break up from school!

I thought it would be difficult but it's one of the easiest things I've ever done. Just make sure you get decent nigari.

To start with I got some from Amazon and had three failures in a row. Was very disheartened. Then I got some from Ebay, direct from Japan. Brilliant!

I use this method

https://www.messyvegancook.com/quick-and-easy-home-made-tofu/

Works every time! You can use anything as a mould for the tofu, as long as it has drainage holes. A colander is OK, just bear in mind whatever you use is the shape your chunk of tofu will come out as.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Very fast curry!

I fried off a load of sliced mushrooms and diced courgettes in a dollop of madras curry paste and added the Vivera “chicken”. After a couple of minutes I squeezed a whole tube of the tomato paste in, let it cook down and added the Alpro coconut yogurt. Chucked the spinach in, put the lid on, and let it wilt down for a few minutes - the liquid from that made a good sauce from quite a dry mix. Served and scoffed. Took maybe 15 minutes to cook on a high heat in a non stick wok. Omnivore husbeast that isn’t keen on green veg absolutely loved it!

12g carbs
21g fat
31g protein

D934AB13-9F74-4C5E-8DD0-4F93CF577F08.jpeg
B708973B-F889-4AE3-8C92-80DE7A7745B0.jpeg

Reactions: WuTwo and Guna108

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very fast curry!

I fried off a load of sliced mushrooms and diced courgettes in a dollop of madras curry paste and added the Vivera “chicken”. After a couple of minutes I squeezed a whole tube of the tomato paste in, let it cook down and added the Alpro coconut yogurt. Chucked the spinach in, put the lid on, and let it wilt down for a few minutes - the liquid from that made a good sauce from quite a dry mix. Served and scoffed. Took maybe 15 minutes to cook on a high heat in a non stick wok. Omnivore husbeast that isn’t keen on green veg absolutely loved it!

12g carbs
21g fat
31g protein

View attachment 34557 View attachment 34558
This looks delicious. Do you think aubergines would work in place of the mushrooms?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thanks @Mel dCP - that looks scrumptious! I think it'd go brilliantly for Wednesday! (Tonight is vegan jambalaya with much reduced rice, and lots of extra veggies).

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Meatless Farm burgers with pea shoot salad, soya yogurt dressing and a splodge of lime pickle. 9g carb if I add the pickle!

62D00F72-3FBE-4960-8B94-283B2C42B041.jpeg
620990C7-5685-4952-8391-3991C1B5CF26.jpeg

Reactions: Guna108

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've recently found Alpro Plain No Sugars yoghurt to use as a snack/ in recipes. It has 0g carbs 0g sugars :) I've not been on the forums recently, so sorry if it has already been recommended. I'm always on the look out for low carb veggie snacks.

Reactions: LinsT