Low carb vs doctor

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi, I was diagnosed three weeks ago with Type 2. My mmol was 22 and I was put on meds straight away. When I went back after a week I mentioned the low carb eating plan and my nurse said oh no eat normally so we know your meds are working. At the time that made sense as my brain was not in my head! But eating normally made me feel unwell so I followed the advice on here and went back to the doctor yesterday and my mmol was 7.5 so really pleased plus my nose was happy with that as well.

Reactions: Debzz_

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hammer1964 . So are you saying that low carb diet has had an effect on your " nose ". Either way congratulations on your results.:):):)

Reactions: Hammer1964

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news!

I have a question though. When you say your mmol was 22, and then 7.5, what exactly were the tests and were they both fasting?

Reactions: CHIET1

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed three weeks ago with Type 2. My mmol was 22 and I was put on meds straight away. When I went back after a week I mentioned the low carb eating plan and my nurse said oh no eat normally so we know your meds are working. At the time that made sense as my brain was not in my head! But eating normally made me feel unwell so I followed the advice on here and went back to the doctor yesterday and my mmol was 7.5 so really pleased plus my nose was happy with that as well.

well you take control it works so don´t worry what they say about food, you could take a multivitamin pill in beginning as maybe changing foodstyle very radically can in some cases mean we do get too little of vitamins if we follow a very narrow track of food choices... try to vary your low carb as much as you can, and if you "sin" then take the carby-foods with the most other nutrients bread with the most fibres and berries with also lots of bioflavinoides and fibres and soon... but it is possible to eat a low carb food style and also get all the needed nutrients... carbs are really not essentials though most health care professionals almost seem to claim that

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If 1964 is relevant to your age then you are forgiven. 1963 is relevant for me and I really struggle with technology.:)
Yes it is thanks for being forgiving. Lol

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great news!

I have a question though. When you say your mmol was 22, and then 7.5, what exactly were the tests and were they both fasting?
No neither were fasting, I had been to the doctors because I had been feeling so unwell and they had said I had a sinus infection and a virus and I asked them to check my blood sugar and they said it was 22 another test they said I was 78 and it should have been under 48 but not exactly forth coming with info on that one. My test yesterday was at 4pm and no fasting.
If 1964 is relevant to your age then you are forgiven. 1963 is relevant for me and I really struggle with technology.:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your doctor's comment was rather stupid. If the low carb works you don't need the meds. It's another example of GPs relying automatically on medication rather than going for the low-carb diet.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No neither were fasting, I had been to the doctors because I had been feeling so unwell and they had said I had a sinus infection and a virus and I asked them to check my blood sugar and they said it was 22 another test they said I was 78 and it should have been under 48 but not exactly forth coming with info on that one. My test yesterday was at 4pm and no fasting.

OK. It looks like the 78 was your HbA1c (a 2 to 3 month average of your blood glucose, and the measurement units are mmol/mol. This is equivalent to an average of 12.2mmol/l which are the units we see on our meters. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

The 22 and the 7.5 seem to be random finger prick tests, similar to ones we do with our meters. As they were random (ie not fasting) the levels will be directly connected to when you last ate, and what you last ate, so really cannot be compared with each other.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK. It looks like the 78 was your HbA1c (a 2 to 3 month average of your blood glucose, and the measurement units are mmol/mol. This is equivalent to an average of 12.2mmol/l which are the units we see on our meters. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

The 22 and the 7.5 seem to be random finger prick tests, similar to ones we do with our meters. As they were random (ie not fasting) the levels will be directly connected to when you last ate, and what you last ate, so really cannot be compared with each other.

Ok that explains way more than the nurse did, thank you.

Reactions: Bluetit1802