1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low Carb Xmassy Deliciousness

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Brunneria, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Pat_C

Pat_C Type 2 · Member

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Years to you all! Being a retired soul I have hours of free time and I am going to try many, most or all of these marvelous looking recipes. I may have to wait until next Christmas to report lol.
    Pat
    Sitting in my sun room watching the sun rise.:)

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This thread was an excellent idea. Lots of delicious recipes all in one place.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Fantastic, have book marked the truffles and mud cake.... how could you not wanna eat those?!

4. Mongolia

Mongolia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I will be doing creamed Savoy cabbage with bacon, cranberries and toasted almonds to go with my duck today.:hungry:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mongolia

Also will be making Ewelina's cranberry & cream cheese cake for Boxing Day dessert http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/ if anyone has cranberries left over that they need to use up :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Just a quick note to say that I have made quite a few of these recipes now, and gone back to my original post and added comments. So far, they have all been great.

The only abject failure was my Low Carb Vanilla Mug Cake with Mincemeat idea.
    That was a disaster.

I used this recipe
    [​IMG]
    First attempt was very fluffy and I could barely find my measely little teasp of mincemeat, plus it overflowed the mug, so the next time I made it without the protein powder, and with half the baking powder. And with a BIG tablespoon of mincemeat:

That was more successful.
    Shared it with Mr B on Xmas Eve when he got in from work, and we both pronounced it a great success.

Raw batter:
    [​IMG]
    Cooked in mug (the brown speckles are real vanilla seeds):
    [​IMG]
    Turned out of mug:
    [​IMG]

HOWEVER, Even the half portion of mincemeat I ate was enough to spike my bg and then dump me into a nasty hypo at 3am (the Libre says I slept through a reading of 1.9mmol/l).
    Felt pretty rough the next morning, after a night of horrible dreams and night-sweats.
    So I am afraid I won't be trying that again!

Mind you, if you aren't prone to hypos, and are willing to experience a ?small? spike, I suppose it is still a better option than real mince pies, which have carbs in the pastry as well as the mincemeat...

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. Mongolia

Just to say that this was really delicious:hungry: Didn't test effect on BS levels yesterday but there is plenty left over to experiment with on this matter over the next few days. Think it would also be great with other berries if cranberries not your thing.

8. Mongolia

Wonder if you could use a spoonful of homemade lemon curd in the middle instead of the mincemeat? Would be a bit like a lemon steamed sponge pudding.

9. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Ooooer! The possibilities are endless, aren't they?
    Mug cakes are often (approx) a steamed pudding texture, so anything that would go in one could go in a mug cake as a molten centre... and LC lemoncurd, or chia jam, or even my xmas LC cranberry sauce (made extra sweet) would work. Something else I have tried was to push a square of dark choc into the mug cake when it came out of the microwave. 2 mins later, when you find it with your spoon, it is melted and gooey, rather like one of those trendy fondant cakes from last year. Oh yeah.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ayed447_

Ayed447_ Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

‪@najialjohani ‬.. dose low carb cookie recipes .. good for my condition?

11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Seems like a good time to bump this thread... since we are just a month from the 2020 festivities.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Those chocolate truffles look fab. They may have to be tested before the festive season!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Still only November....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Still only November 2019 @bulkbiker.

15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Indeed..

16. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for this thread- I've been avoiding thinking about Christmas as it seemed too hard. We have some traditional favourites that I've had every Christmas for over 50 years- but never again. I was feeling very low but some of these sound really nice

Thanks all- It has really helped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It will be a toss up whether we have Queensland or West Australian seafood and crustaceans this year, as we have not made our mind up what to do or where to go.

It will all be low carb goodness of the above mentioned food plus steak and ham, bacon eggs etc. with salads,

• Like Like x 2
  18. Quinn1066

Quinn1066 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So looking forward to Christmas this year, gathering with family. We do the traditional pork, and chicken roasts, with accompanying vegetables, which I will be eating my normal cauliflower, green beans and a bit of broccoli. But I have found this great cheesecake recipe that I can make, because I can't eat the traditional Christmas fruit pudding. Will be using reduced fat sour cream and reduced fat cream cheese to lower the calories, and either pure monkfruit of stevia powder as the sweetener as I don't use sugar alcohols, they upset my stomach. I think the lemon cheesecake would be great after a roast meat meal, refreshing and will go well with a nice cup of tea. https://sugarfreelondoner.com/low-c...tzHX_KCRHGlMUBJzh0rrJqsREKSJby7QHvJx0Y97gZIbQ

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook