Low carb

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Well, into a second week of low carbs. Yogurt and blue berries for breakfast. Not automatically heading for the bread bin. Can’t say the taste of yogurt does much for me. I was using low fat with honey before! Well, by ten thirty I felt quite shaky and so along with a skinny flat white in Costa I noticed they were doing toast for a £! We shared it, seeded brown. Guilt and pleasure in equal measure. Skipped lunch then a pork chop, baby corn and string beans for dinner. No potatoes! However, eating the fat with the chop was very good. Thanks for all the honest comments in the threads.
G.

andromache

Hi all. Well, into a second week of low carbs. Yogurt and blue berries for breakfast. Not automatically heading for the bread bin. Can’t say the taste of yogurt does much for me. I was using low fat with honey before! Well, by ten thirty I felt quite shaky and so along with a skinny flat white in Costa I noticed they were doing toast for a £! We shared it, seeded brown. Guilt and pleasure in equal measure. Skipped lunch then a pork chop, baby corn and string beans for dinner. No potatoes! However, eating the fat with the chop was very good. Thanks for all the honest comments in the threads.
G.
I think it is a good plan not to let yourself get hungry if you can help it. I know this sounds daft and flies in the face of everything we have heard for 50 years from the low fat/low calorie brigade, but when did they help anyone? The best way of resisting the siren song of toast is not to not be starving when its delectable aroma make your nose twitch. And that is where fat is your friend - probably more of it than you feel automatically comfortable with eating. Sounds to me like you need a bigger breakfast. Is that yoghurt full fat as well as unsweetened? It needs to be. Even better, can you face (for instance) scrambled eggs, or even bacon and eggs? (Without toast, naturally...) Nothing like them for getting a person safely through to lunch (or longer) when someone brings those birthday muffins into work at 1100. Those are my very amateurish suggestions (I'm not far off a beginner myself). Most people on here know far more than I do, and they will have good advice, I'm sure.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you avoiding fats? I notice you had a skinny latte. Cream is much, much better for us. It will stave off hunger, and won't raise blood glucose levels like milk does (especially skimmed).

Do you have your own glucose meter, and did you test after breakfast and after your evening meal with baby corn in it?

Reactions: Goldenoldy

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you avoiding fats? I notice you had a skinny latte. Cream is much, much better for us. It will stave off hunger, and won't raise blood glucose levels like milk does (especially skimmed).

Do you have your own glucose meter, and did you test after breakfast and after your evening meal with baby corn in it?
Thanks for your info. No I don’t have a meter. Thinking of one, does it help wit( HbA1c readings?
G

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your info. No I don’t have a meter. Thinking of one, does it help wit( HbA1c readings?
G

A meter is an enormous help. You can use it to test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite to show you instantly what that meal has done to your levels. If you use it alongside a food diary you can easily spot which foods are causing the problems and work to eliminate them or reduce the portion size. We can help you with all this and point out what to look for. Doing this over a period of time will help you to reduce your HbA1c.

Reactions: Goldenoldy

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, I’ve gone back to non skinny coffees. Also full fat yoghurt. Fell off the waggon last weekend over a couple of jam donuts! The cravings that evening were something else. I blame a friend who thought they were treating me! It’s an education for sure. G

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’ve gone back to non skinny coffees. Also full fat yoghurt. Fell off the waggon last weekend over a couple of jam donuts! The cravings that evening were something else. I blame a friend who thought they were treating me! It’s an education for sure. G

Well done for climbing back on the waggon. We all have friends like yours - they need a bit of gentle education. :)

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Goldenoldy,
I am a fairly recently diagnosed Type 2 , have a meter and am on no (Diabetes) meds, I was on a so-called 'healthy High Carb Low Fat, 5 a day) diet for over 10yrs before my triple bypass , then doubled down on it and here I am justy over 2yrs later with T2, So I looked at that actual evidence and I am now eating almost exactly what they said (and still sometimes say) will kill me! My doctor basically told me to eat the Low Fat (High Carb) diet but without the carbs - LOL! What the heck did he think I was going to live on?

So it is High Fat Low Carb with some protein for me now. I am include Red meat with the white and the oily and white fish, but exclude any overly processed meats or those with nitrites and nitrates added.
I have been on this diet for 6 weeks and have lost about 11 lbs and I was barely overweight when I started.
In addition to the foods mentioned by you and by others in this thread I eat quite a lot of hard cheese (mature Cheddar) and nuts (Walnuts, Almonds and Brazil nuts). either of those is great for a quick low carb snack. When I am stuffing my face with nuts and cheese I don't miss sugar and carbs at all !

But we are not all the same, so get a Blood Glucose meter and test which foods work well with your body!