Low carb

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been told to have a very low carb diet,but I’m just wondering what sort of thing do people eat on a low carb diet and any recipes would be fab.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A great adventure?
I thought about the foods I loved that I would miss and what I could swap in, and about the foods I used to worry about eating that I would restrict, thinking they were 'bad' for me that I can now enjoy.
So more eggs and cheese, and a switch to full fat milk and full fat greek yogurt plus double cream for coffee, etc.
I buy raspberries, never mind the price as in small amounts they cost about the same as the junk I used to have.

And one thing I can eat when out is bacon from the all day breakfast menus, with mushrooms, or cheese/ham omelettes
or chicken/fish with extra green veg instead of potato.

And a couple of squares of good quality dark chocolate (85%) instead of a bar of milk choc.

I loved rice so swapped that out and have cauliflower rice instead - just grate a cauliflower and roast it for 12-14 mins at 180 degrees then store in the fridge. It won't absorb liquid so use less water in curries, etc.

There are recipes for cakes made from ground almonds or coconut flour - still need to carb count but they will be much lower than wheat and sugar based cakes. Even recipes for 1 minute micro mug cakes.

Try the 90 second micro bread - I like flaxseed in mine as it cuts the eggy taste and is more like wholemeal.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on low carb diet. I eat lots of veggies (no potatoes), meat fish eggs nuts and cheese. I avoid pasta, rice, bread, sweets, ready meals. I used to make low carb desserts every weekend ( brownies, cheese cake). It’s quite easy and fun to bake your own low carb desserts. Good luck :)