Low Carb

Vicky_roo

Hi
I am 322 lbs/23 stone and want to lose weight yet, medically been advised not to go super low calorie and to ensure I get 120 grams of protein a day as I am post operative and healing so, instinct says this is the best plan to enable my body to lose some weight, not looking for rapid just steady and consistent, like I said have healing to do after 4 operations since beginning of June and still have an open wound
Is there somewhere that I can put food into to really create the right menu to make it easy for shopping and planning say a fortnights menu at a time to help it become sustainable? Thank you
God bless you
x

Reactions: JenniferM55

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi, I started from around 290-300 ish in February. I decided from the beginning to go ultra low carb and 1:1 fat; protein. This morning’s weight is 231.

I used an online calculator to estimate my BMR, and figured out some meal plans that would bring 10% under. Adjusted as my BMR changed with weight.

my diet is mainly fish, meat and green veggies, eggs, cheese , nuts, avocados,,To keep my protein high, I added in a whey protein shake. For it to sustainable, you’ll need to list the foods you like, crossing out the high carb items.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Vicky_roo and welcome

Sounds like you’re an ideal candidate for a low carb diet.

I don’t know of an app which does exactly what you ask, but the dietdoctor.com website (much of it is free) has 7 or 14 day meal plans (ingredients can be substituted) as well as reams of information, recipes and so on. I’d highly recommend it.

If you’re interested and it doesn’t conflict with your other medical needs, a number of us here eat carnivore or close to it - i.e animal based food only so meat, fish, eggs, some dairy. That would certainly help with your protein requirements and makes meal planning very simple.

Also check out the ‘what have you eaten today’ and ‘carnivore corner’ threads in the low carb section of the forum.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I'm another who has lost and still losing significant weight going low carb. Haven't started counting calories as happy with slow and steady loss. Over 30 kg so far. First time for me losing without counting calories.

Have you been diagnosed with diabetes ? Are you on any medication? If you are on medication to lower your blood sugar levels you will have to be careful in reducing your carbs and test regularly. Let us know so we can make some suggestions.

Also I agree that you need to find some things you like so it is sustainable. I for example have diet jelly as it doesn't spike my blood sugar levels and I have a sweet tooth. I have cream- not thickened cream- in my coffee instead of milk.

Good luck, welcome read around and ask questions. People on here are super friendly and want to help.