Low carb

Kelsey140197

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't been diagnosed that long ( since November last year ) and after reading up more on here decided to cut back on the carbs more , was just wondering how many carb free meals / low carb people let themselves have ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
If I understand your query, you can eat as much as you like on low Carb.
You can snack between meals if you wish.
You will find that if you stick to low carb, you wont crave food all the time, so eat when you wish.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the usual 3 meals a day but they are as low carb as possible - no grains, root veg or fruit except berries. If necessary I will snack on handful of nuts, lump of cheese, olives, handful of berries or a homemade grain free cookie.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's very difficult to have a completely carb free meal and keep it well balanced as vegetables and salad have a few carbs in them.

If you're talking about "carby" foods such as rice, bread, pasta and root vegetables then all my meals are free of those

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Absolutely carb free is almost impossible. The idea is to eat carbs at a level that results in a normal blood glucose level ie eat to your meter.
Some can eat maybe 100 grams /day others may need to go down to 20-50, everybody is different. So its best to plan and record what you are eating along with your blood glucose results and use that as a navigational tool to find the BG level that suits you.

Kelsey140197

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see , thank you , the only meals is really had that I'd thought were carb free was like eggs with bacon or like salads or some veg which I thought were not high enough when having them ,

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All of my meals are without bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, any other type of grain, pulses, fruit except berries. However they are not completely carb free. I aim for under 50g carbs for the day. Sometimes it is easy to work out the carbs as it is on packets eg sausages. Other times when I have baked something from scratch it is more difficult and may involve a bit of guess work. However more recipes on line are now listing how many carbs they involved esp those aimed at people on LCHF diets.

Kelsey140197

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been until now seeing that most people cut of bread and pasta and things , eating normal but in moderation and apart from a few highs my readings were okay , but think that it would be best to try and cut them down

Shabshak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
If I understand your query, you can eat as much as you like on low Carb.
You can snack between meals if you wish.
You will find that if you stick to low carb, you wont crave food all the time, so eat when you wish.
Hello I am new here what snack can I take because if I take biscuit there is sugar I am hungry and afraid to eat like normal people what is low crab

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I am new here what snack can I take because if I take biscuit there is sugar I am hungry and afraid to eat like normal people what is low crab

Welcome to the forum Shabshak!

Lower carb snacks include things like cheese, pork scratchings, nuts, some seeds, olives, berries, celery, prawns, eggs, peanut butter and avocado

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
@Kelsey140197, I hope this works, a link to the low carb recipe thread http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/post-your-recipes-here.2856/page-17#post-832623. A google search will bring up some recipes but check the amount of carbs, we all have differing definitions of what low carb is. Also we all seem to react differently to different foods/carbs. There is also a link on this site to low carb recipes and a 30 day meal planner.
As suggested often here, a blood glucose meter and close monitoring of the effects your food is having on your readings is the best way to crack it.

In an ideal world we would have regular mealtimes and snack times, life isn't like that and I am afraid I have no typical day. I just try to adapt to where I am and what I am doing. You will work out what is best for you.

@Shabshak, I have recently discovered mini babybel cheese, they are a nice wee snack. Sometimes a small plastic tub with some cheddar cut into batons and always some nuts.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kelsey140197, I hope this works, a link to the low carb recipe thread http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/post-your-recipes-here.2856/page-17#post-832623. A google search will bring up some recipes but check the amount of carbs, we all have differing definitions of what low carb is. Also we all seem to react differently to different foods/carbs. There is also a link on this site to low carb recipes and a 30 day meal planner.
As suggested often here, a blood glucose meter and close monitoring of the effects your food is having on your readings is the best way to crack it.

In an ideal world we would have regular mealtimes and snack times, life isn't like that and I am afraid I have no typical day. I just try to adapt to where I am and what I am doing. You will work out what is best for you.

@Shabshak, I have recently discovered mini babybel cheese, they are a nice wee snack. Sometimes a small plastic tub with some cheddar cut into batons and always some nuts.
I too have just discovered mini babybel this weekend. Very handy for carrying around!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't mind a bit of baking try these pumpkin and sunflower seed crackers
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/
I think I must have made mine bigger than in the recipe because I only got 12 which I calculate to be between 1g and 1.5g carbs per cracker, going on the amounts given at the bottom of the recipe. Have them as a snack with any type of cheese or pate - very tasty!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How about parmesan crisps?
Heaped tablespoons of finely grated parmesan cheese onto a sheet of baking parchment, about a couple of cm apart. Flatten slightly with the back of the tablespoon. Bake for 3-5 minutes, keep an eye on them, you will know when they are done.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heaped tablespoons of finely grated parmesan cheese onto a sheet of baking parchment, about a couple of cm apart. Flatten slightly with the back of the tablespoon. Bake for 3-5 minutes, keep an eye on them, you will know when they are done.
Keep meaning to try these. Kale crisps are good too with dip.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have looked at a few low carb dips, but I cannot see past tzatziki.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Keep meaning to try these. Kale crisps are good too with dip.

Will try the kale crisps, but trying to keep kale in my fridge is almost impossible. My son makes kale and orange nutriblasts daily.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do these in the microwave - on a silicone baking sheet for 3 to 3 1/2 mins on high. Again you should keep your eye on them! I also sometimes mix in a little flax seed if I'm feeling virtuous.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

minniemoo

Question / What do people think of carrot sticks and houmus as a snack please? Good or bad?

Last edited by a moderator: