Low Carbs versus NHS recommended diet.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, but that wasn't the main point that struck me. It was the allegation that his consultant had told him to,eat 750g carbs a day and calculate his bolus by counting calories!!!

And the fact that he was using correction doses of insulin for low blood sugar!

As @tim2000s says, if that's true, it needs reporting.
Hey! I have a keen eye for detail.. ;)
I once had the misfortune to date a "pothead" girl.? My point. During the "relationship" she thought she might be pregnant. Long story short. I mentioned about cutting out the "smokes". Her reply to me was "my doc said its OK to smoke a bit of weed. It calms me down.." (She already had an 8year old lad by some other guy.)
Sceptical of course I was..! Lucky it was a false alarm. After an official not pregnant result, I walked..

"Chinese whispers." @Oldvatr has only relayed what he was told by his mate. :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did not post on this thread as a means of discussing my friend's method of diabetes control. It was intended to show that while he had found that a small change of diet away from NHS guidelines, and by that was having success with it by reducing insulin, bgl bang bang swings and avoiding hypo's, that when he discussed it with his Consultant, then said Consultant heard those terrible words, Low Carb Diet, and immediately jumped down his throat. Unfortunately that seems to be what many posters on this thread have also done.

Its not helpful, and its taken things way off topic. I will not be replying any further , and merely say, that until my friend decides to change, then change will not occur. The Consultant was only covering his **** by quoting the NHS mantra, and forcing my friend to return to his old high carb, high insulin regime that he has been using for years. The NHS abhors success stories unless it is of their own making.