Type 2 Low fat yogurt and blood sugar reading

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I’ve realised that low fat yogurt is the culprit (or one of them!) in my raised blood sugars.

The standard question: but why?? It’s not got any flavourings, additives or sweeteners in it.

I’ve now cut this out, but wonder if anyone else has this issue.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How many carbs are in the low fat yoghurt?

I used to find that low fat yoghurts tended to have quite a lot of sugar in them too.

Maybe I don’t know fully how things work, but why would sweeteners, additives or flavourings impact blood sugars?

Last edited:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The standard question: but why?? It’s not got any flavourings, additives or sweeteners in it.
The standard answer is for almost all cases when something is low fat it has sugar added to make it taste better. I would double check to see if that's the case.

Sorry this might seem like a dumb question but what are you eating with the yogurt? :bookworm:
:bag:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am one of the people who have an insulin response to even the thought of sweet stuff, despite either not going ahead and eating it, or it being made with artificial sweeteners.

It's a real thing for some.

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The standard answer is for almost all cases when something is low fat it has sugar added to make it taste better. I would double check to see if that's the case.

Sorry this might seem like a dumb question but what are you eating with the yogurt? :bookworm:
:bag:

Just plain yogurt, no sweeteners in it, nothing added to it