low GI diet

nessabie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
HI had a review with the nurse all good apart from HbA1c is up to 91 MMOL/MOL The nurse suggested i try a low GI diet. ???? any suggestions, advice? have no idea where to start. a couple of issues are i have no desire to eat and hubby eats really badly. no fruit or veg! cheers vanessa

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low GI just means that any sugar content is absorbed more slowly but is still absorbed and raises blood sugar, maybe not so high as high GI foods but for longer. Rather than low GI a lot of us eat low carb. However you need to consider the meds you’re on before considering low carb. A little more info will help us to advise. Can you tell us what meds you’re on? What sort of diet you have been eating? Do you test your sugars at home?
Also if hubby is joining you, low carb would suit him well, @NoCrbs4Me for example eats, I think I’m right in saying, no fruit and veg at all!

nessabie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
hi thanks for replying the nurse said i need carbs. i'm on victoza gliclazide glucophage ramipril a statin and the pill. i don't follow any diet. i don't eat properly the victoza has a side effect of an appetite suppressant. i do test but randomly rather than regularly. thank you x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit is not a wise choice for Type 2's. It is full of sugar (fructose) and is a major contributor to fatty livers, which as a Type 2 you really don't want to have. So your husband has the right idea! It is also not compulsory to eat vegetables. I eat very few.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ll have to leave the advice to people taking the meds that you do, I just take Metformin. But I would suggest more testing to see how different foods are affecting your blood sugars.

Reactions: EllieM

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The nurse suggested i try a low GI diet. ???? any suggestions, advice?
Hi nessabie,
I looked at low GI properly for the first time the other day when it was discussed in an other thread honestly I think its terrible advice for any diabetic. A lot of the foods they suggest as low GI are high in sugar, and I see real potential to do harm if your eating to the low GI index thinking you are eating the right stuff because they class it as low GI. :meh:

The government guide line for GP's is to prescribe more carbs to dietetics even though there is a mountain of evidence to prove this can be harmful to us. If you are begin told to eat more carbs by health professionals, complex carbs are a better choice i.e brown bread instead of white.

Where you can, cut back on carbs, I think you would be hard pushed to find anyone on here that would not recommend this as a good first step.

Many of us follow a low carb diet, but sometimes forget it took a lot of baby steps to get us there. ;)
:bag:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi thanks for replying the nurse said i need carbs. i'm on victoza gliclazide glucophage ramipril a statin and the pill. i don't follow any diet. i don't eat properly the victoza has a side effect of an appetite suppressant. i do test but randomly rather than regularly. thank you x
With the amount of medication you are on you probably do need carbs to avoid hypos.. it might be time to consider changing your diet and reducing your meds. Best ask your nurse about doing that at your next appointment.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed Gliclazide and Metphormin when I was first diagnosed, but being very angry at the way I was informed of my diagnosis and the doctor not having the time to explain properly my condition to me I started to read up about the drugs and about type 2 diabetes, I then realized that carbs were the problem so put myself on a low carb and moderate/high fat diet. I chose not to take the Gliclazide to avoid getting a hypo. This approach has worked for me and my last Hba1c was 34 and am off all medication.

Reactions: EllieM