Low GI..... how slow are we talking?!

Type1of25years+

I know every food affects us each differently but I’m just wondering if anyone knows roughly what the slowest time the lowest GI foods are likely to kick in....?! I’ve never understood if it’s like 1 hour or could be 12 hours?! I want to know if I eat some almond nuts for example what kinda timeframe we looking at?! Thanks!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fat and fibre in food containing carb reduces the GI. It takes longer for the glucose to increase blood glucose. Fibre in fruit lengthens the time by minutes, while fat in chocolate increases the time by many hours. When I used Lantus I had chocolate in the evening to prevent lows early the next morning. Eating a sausage with potatoes can give the insulin enough time to work. GI is not as much what you eat but what you eat it with.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know every food affects us each differently but I’m just wondering if anyone knows roughly what the slowest time the lowest GI foods are likely to kick in....?! I’ve never understood if it’s like 1 hour or could be 12 hours?! I want to know if I eat some almond nuts for example what kinda timeframe we looking at?! Thanks!

This is a hard question to answer because physiology differs from person to person, but I find that if I have eaten something that is 'low GI' (and normally I don't focus on whether something is low or high GI as such) then the rise comes around 3/4 hours after instead of an hour or so.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find a 65g bowl of porridge to digest at roughly the same speed my Humalog works, but then I've a few carbs from wholemeal bread sloshing around at the same time, some days I need a 2 fingered Kit Kat mid morning for the tail if I'm working hard, brown rice works for me too although can need a 2nd injection after a couple of hours depending on the meals fat content.