Low low to no carb....lots of lantus low dose novo....please help

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi thanks. Yes I agree quite ridiculous for my diabetes dr and nurse to tell me that but they did and for over a decade! They even told my gp who then gave me lecture about it! They even had me stop increasing my dose at 5 months during my second pregnancy! I over road this in the end as I was scared for my baby!...they kept telling me I took more insulin than a big builder and I would get big as a house!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Yes and a big builder would stereotypically be T2 and even if he was T1 would have a massive physical activity level. Sounds like you are well shut of that team!

Reactions: 2 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Today was was massively different to yesterday. I woke up with a 7. Mid morning 14. Lunch 14. Dinner 12...mid eve 18!

So yes I need to make adjustments and am. But I was also taught to allow 3 days between changing my basal levels

What did you eat though? It's impossible to comment unless we know that. Also what were your correction doses and when did you take them?

Dillinger

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
ok here goes....

day 1 blood sugars bolus correct basal food
breakfast 13.9 0 3 18 scrambled egg and cheese decaf coffee water + creon
lunch 15.4 1 5 plain low fat greek yog (as less carb than full fat) green salad, tuna and 4 olives + creon
dinner 12.6 2 2 chicken onion mushroom broch cabbage (bolus for chasseur sauce?) + creon
9pm 18
BB 13.9

day 2 14 0 5 18 scrambled egg and cheese + creon
mid m 11.5
lunch 14.2 0 5 lettuce grated cheese, cauli, , tuna camomile tea + creon
dinner 15 0 6 bacon, poached egg, mushrooms and cheese + creon
9pm 16.6 20
11pm 14.3 3

day 3
breakfast 9.8 0 0 20 same
lunch 13.8 1 4 salad and chicken and plain greek low fat yog + creon
handful peanuts and almonds
dinner 13.9 0 6 courgette parmesan grated cauli green beans and salmon + creon (took extra novo in
corr to cover rise from meal)
9.30 16 5 20 took correctional cautiously for any insulin stacking possibility

day 4
breakfast 6.7 0 0 20 same
10am 10.4
lunch 15 0 6 salad and tuna
dinner 13 0 3 chicken and green beans
9.30 16 5 20 smoked salmon and Philadelphia
11 13.5

day 5
breakfast 12.6 3 22 same
10.45 14.2
lunch 12.7 1 3
mid aft 15.4
dinner 12.5 3 sausage and green beans

day 6
6.20 14
9.30 11.2 2 22 same
lunch 10.4 0 0 salmon Philadelphia and lemon juice handful peanuts
dinner 15 0 6 small salad lettuce tuna cheese and 4 olives
9.30 10,4 20

day 7
7 am 4.3 22 very shaky so had a banana then scrambled egg
8 am 10.7
lunch 12.2 0 3 salad and tuna, peanuts
dinner 13.4 0 4 plain pork, caulifl broch steamed
9.30 12 20

day 8
breakfast 12.3 2 24 same
11 am 13.8
lunch 11.2 2 salad and peanuts
dinner 15.3 3 5 mince, courgette, toms.onions, aubergines, little white sauce. plain yoghurt
9.15 14.2 3 20

day 9
breakf 7.6 24 same
10.30 14 4
11.40 14 3 small green salad
dinner 12.9 1 4 green beans and small plate of last nights dinner
8.30 18 6 ....to start with

day 10
7.30 9
8.30 14 4 26 bacon mushrooms poached egg
11.30 12.2
lunch 11.2 3 3 lettuce grated broch and cauli, tuna cheese 5 black olives

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
oh what!! it looks like it didn' t like my spaces!!
sorry now it looks all squished up and impossibly to read ill try to sort it out

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
actually no I can't....and I cant write it all out again that took me an age.....
the first number in line is my blood result
second number is bolus novo
3rd number is corr novo
4 number is basal
I am so sorry its all messed up. as I haven't put 0's in all the novo bolus gaps
if there is one number short in a row it is going to be the novo bolus
I hope that helps a little

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
So day 12....bloods got to 4 yesterday at breakfast and 9 this morning so slight improvement maybe......no weight loss....
Upper tummy feels slightly better for being on omeprazole these last 3 days....my 4 min gastro appoint has been booked for july.......so any thought s on the above?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Bit late maybe and l am T2 not a t1 (unless l miss read) but l like Vivs modified low carb on this forum it isn't as harsh as the original Atkins and also did you do a step down or just slam straight into it. I did a gradual step down and now steady on about 25 to 30 g carbs a day happy at this amount and gave my body time to adjust.

As has been pointed out to others as this is for life ignore weight loss that will come whenever this is not a short time fix so you need to also enjoy eating not suffer for it

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bump

Can't comment, Megan, because I haven't a clue about insulin useage, but I would really like you to have some input on your food diary.

How's the tum? Still bloated?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Thanks for responding. ...I have done healthy eating and thing's in moderation for years....it makes no difference....yes I did go straight into this and it was out of
despatation. I had hoped that getting weight down and trying some thing different would help my insulin resistance...nearly 2 weeks on now....
The weight is not helping the fibromyalgia pains I am in at the moment....I hurt doing anything these days!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hesitate to say this (because I have NO IDEA if it applies in your situation) but do insulin users get 'low carb flu'?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hesitate to say this (because I have NO IDEA if it applies in your situation) but do insulin users get 'low carb flu'?
I did the first couple of times i tried. I stepped down in the end and had no symptoms.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the generally awful feeling (rather like flu - aches, pains, headaches, misery and depression like symptoms) that people get when they start a strict low carb diet.

I have only ever had it once, and genuinely thought I had caught a virus. That was centuries ago...

Mr B gets it every time he goes low carb, exacerbated by his coffee addiction/withdrawal symptoms. We have a cute little dent in the kitchen wall from where he threw a cup during one tantrum. We laugh about it now. Not so much at the time. It was like living with Jekyll/Hyde.

Have a look at these:
http://www.gnolls.org/1984/the-scie...and-how-to-regain-your-metabolic-flexibility/

http://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/808402-cures-for-the-low-carb-flu

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Thanks. ...my day to day is full of aches and pains and no sight of the 'great feeling' from the adjustments ive made according to the atkins book.... ive also cut the caffeine...but I dont really feel any different to before...except im full up on less food

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, I don't have fibromyalgia or anything like it, but I do get the whole aches and pains (muscle, tendons and joints) always directly related to carb intake.

Your diet, as listed above, would eliminate all those symptoms, in me.

But again, I am wary of even drawing comparisons, because of the fact I don't need insulin like you do.

Hopefully someone else will trundle through and be able to give more input.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Thank you. Id hoped no carbs may have helped with the pains and tiredness. ..but not so far....I also was meant to get the ketosis.....not ketoacidosis!....but I haven't. ...atkins says at this stage there should be big changes....im waiting. ...positive ones only please:)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Argh sorry looking at your stats in that format is frying my brain! I will try again when I am less tired.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Of course no worries. ..dont feel you have to respond to that. ..I only put it up as figures were mentioned...sorry it came up looking so messed up..it wasnt like that when I typed it :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Megan

The fist thing to sort out is your basal. From the nights where you haven't taken a correction dose at bedtime you seem to be quite stable (although high) overnight, i.e.: there isn't much change.

The next step would be to do some daytime basal testing by skipping one meal per day and testing hourly to see what you BGs are doing.

It's hard to see exactly what's going on from your 'condensed' chart but I'm starting to think you are not taking enough bolus at mealtimes, but you need to be sure your basal is correct first before tackling that.

Reactions: 6 people