Low Reading

Marku59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T2 in September. Since then have been managing with diet. I eat very little carbs. Am managing well lost 2.5 stone and bs readings down. Last week I felt unwell and on taking BS it had dropped dramatically to just over 3. No reason as I’m not on medication and had not skipped meal.?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats on losing weight and controling ur BG. If u r not on medication then I think u dont need to worry about a possible hypo. It might just be caused by ur dramatic changes. How often do u check ur BG ? Could that low reading be after a work out or such ?

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I was diagnosed with T2 in September. Since then have been managing with diet. I eat very little carbs. Am managing well lost 2.5 stone and bs readings down. Last week I felt unwell and on taking BS it had dropped dramatically to just over 3. No reason as I’m not on medication and had not skipped meal.?

My blood sugar seldom drops that low...I am not on any meds but manage effectively through a low carb diet. I wonder, like @miszu, how often you are checking your levels. A dramatically different reading my be inaccurate due to a lot of things from unwashed hands to flawed strips - but most likely a reading close to 3 reflects that you are not eating much...some people think Type 2s can't get hypos but they are completely wrong. Generally, we are only rally at risk if on meds such as Gliclazide as well as on a low carb diet...but if your diet has been successfully bringing levels down, a low level suggests maybe being less strict to see what happens. Only an opinion....but as you say you felt unwell it sounds like a hypo to me. If so, I'd see it as an excuse for a sweetie ! Keep an eye on your levels for now. Good luck.

Reactions: Marku59

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I'm type 2 no meds. I used to get numbers that low before bed. (I once had a reading so low the meter didn't give a number, just said "lo".) Added a pre-bedtime snack, problem solved. Just wasn't eating enough.

Reactions: Marku59

Marku59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on losing weight and controling ur BG. If u r not on medication then I think u dont need to worry about a possible hypo. It might just be caused by ur dramatic changes. How often do u check ur BG ? Could that low reading be after a work out or such ?
No I don’t work out. I was on way home from work and felt unwell so checked Bs and no when zi got home. I normally only have salad for lunch but that day had eaten more carb because I had a late meeting. My no was ok but bs was low.

Marku59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 no meds. I used to get numbers that low before bed. (I once had a reading so low the meter didn't give a number, just said "lo".) Added a pre-bedtime snack, problem solved. Just wasn't eating enough.
I’ll maybe put an afternoon snack in. I was just a bit freaked out as when discussed on initial diagnosis said as I was not on meds it would not drop!