1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low Vitamin D levels .....

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by sophiachambers, May 22, 2019.

1. sophiachambers

sophiachambers Type 1 · Member

Hi there,

I'm a type one diabetic and after recieving my annual blood test results today I'm slightly concerned. My hba1c was 5.7 - so I was really happy. However I was told I have low vitamin D levels and require a new prescription.

Has anyone had this before? I'm slightly worried - I've "heard" this can also be a sign of cancer?

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. TraceyD123

TraceyD123 Type 1 · Newbie

I had exactly the same. I now take a high strength supplement every day which has sorted it although it does take a few months. If you’ve also been feeling a bit down this will explain why.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Vit D deficiency is rip roaringly common all over the world. Have a search here for previous threads about it, pop over to the Vitamin D Council (UK based) and look at what Ivor Cummings has to say about it on YouTube.

I take between 5-10000 iu almost daily, depending on the time of year. Loads of us buy our own suppliments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Vitamin D deficiency precedes the onset of type 1 diabetes, so it would be commonplace in our community. I was Vitamin D deficient the summer before my diagnosis. I take supplements over the winter months and have given up using face sunblock (unless I'm on holiday in the sun) and try to be outside with my bare arms and face exposed at lunchtime, even in the winter months.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've taken supplemental vit.D for 3 years now because of a severe deficiency and no sign of cancer at all :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Koalajane

Koalajane Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency and take prescribed vitamin d3 and calcium tablets daily( I have polymyalgia rheumatica) and I know many people have Vit D deficiency. Judging by the weather today it is not surprising!

• Like Like x 1
  7. dabbit

dabbit Type 2 · Active Member

In my last tests from the hospital (for non-related diabetes) a blood test showed I was vitamin D deficient too. I don't get them on prescription as they are only £1.49 for 60 high strength in Savers. But from memory, I'm sure everyone in the UK is supposed to take a vitamin D tablet every day according to the medical advice I see on TV a while back

• Like Like x 1
  8. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had a pretty serious deficiency upon diagnosis. I was on a large dose of 5,000 uIU per day until my tests came back in the normal range. Now I take 2,000 uIU daily in the summer, because I also get sun on my daily walks, and double that during the winter. My tests continue to show normal. I get mine from the local drugstore.

9. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Sophia - As others have said, Vitamin D defficiency is incredibly common.

If you are in UK, your Doctor will likely prescribe you a loading dose, with instruction thata you buy a lower dose over the counter for the longer term.

The NHS routinely only prescribe Vitamin D, whereas the far better option is Vitamin D3, with Vitamin K2. The K2 helps it "work much better". I use the "" as I'm enormously aware I have over simplified that a lot.

10. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

My vitamin D levels are low as well. My doctor said most people are, and wasn't concerned. I have a new doc now, who basically said the same but did want me to supplement to bring it up a little.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook