Low White Blood Cell Count

lindisfel

Expert
To cut a long story short I had occasion to take a battery of blood tests over the weekend. About the only significant anomaly was my white cell blood count is below normal.

I read in the literature on the Net this is not unusual on a Keto diet.
Has anyone else experienced this abnormality, please?
regards
D.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
An answer might depend on which white cell count is low, and by how much?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Struma, you have got me there, I'll have to ask my doctor, I thought there was only one white cell blood count!
regards
Derek
There is the general White Cell Count, then you consider the breakdown:

Normal percentage of overall WBC count
neutrophil 55 to 73 percent
lymphocyte 20 to 40 percent
eosinophil 1 to 4 percent
monocyte 2 to 8 percent
basophil

These all have there own numbers, percentages have really become historical now.
Low general WCC can be due to viruses, autoimmune reasons, and other unpleasanter things...
Like a lot of bloods, they are looked at together, to form a picture, rather than in isolation.
Patients' clinical history is considered concomitantly of course.

Hope this enlightens a little.

Reactions: Prem51

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Struma,
I'm assuming from the communication they were all lumped together. I had CRP, enzymes and various other bloods done at the same time and they were all ok.

My heart failure played up at the weekend due Conn's syndrome and I was in A&E at the time.
I'll have to see if I can get the bloods when I see my doctor, meanwhile I have upped my potassium sparing diuretics.
regards
Derek

lindisfel

Expert
Thank you John, it helps immensely when others care. We all try to encourage each other, here.

I am having my bloods rechecked next week and the radiologist says the shadow at the top of left lung could be nothing and we are arranging another x-ray in six weeks time
D.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . the only significant anomaly was my white cell blood count is below normal.

I've been told that I have had low white cell blood count (no Lymphocytes, Neutrophils, Basophils, Eosinophils, Monocytes breakdown). At the time I was told that it was probably because I was fighting off an infection, a severe cold/flu type thing. I believe it can also be a sign of physical or emotional stress.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hope you feel well @lindisfel?

I was stressed about gastroscopy but it went very very well. Just stressing about losing 3kgs for op.
Walking is painful again, think painkillers are becoming tolerated again. Like tramadol did.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having my bloods rechecked next week and the radiologist says the shadow at the top of left lung could be nothing and we are arranging another x-ray in six weeks time

I hope everything goes well for you, and that the radiologist is correct.

Try to get a print out of your next blood tests - not always easy when it is done by the hospital, but they should oblige with a bit of nagging.

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks Blue tit, I will try to get a full profile out of the surgery. I shall just have to put any possible x-rays results at the back of my mind for the time being.
atb
Derek
I hope everything goes well for you, and that the radiologist is correct.

Try to get a print out of your next blood tests - not always easy when it is done by the hospital, but they should oblige with a bit of nagging.

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks ickihun, I think of your problems bringing up a young family, I do hope your health issues subside when your surgery is completed.
ATB
Derek

Hope you feel well @lindisfel?

I was stressed about gastroscopy but it went very very well. Just stressing about losing 3kgs for op.
Walking is painful again, think painkillers are becoming tolerated again. Like tramadol did.

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks David, it may come good in time. I have another blood test wednesday I will keep it in mind to try and find the reason.
I have not had a cold for six years so my immunity seems ok?

I hope you get yours sorted David. Low immunity is not something else we want to be fighting.

atb
Derek

I've been told that I have had low white cell blood count (no Lymphocytes, Neutrophils, Basophils, Eosinophils, Monocytes breakdown). At the time I was told that it was probably because I was fighting off an infection, a severe cold/flu type thing. I believe it can also be a sign of physical or emotional stress.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks ickihun, I think of your problems bringing up a young family, I do hope your health issues subside when your surgery is completed.
ATB
Derek
Me too.
I want to get back to full-time work and up our pensions and start saving again.
Older son is thinking of going into surgery he told me yesterday. His trip to Newcastle uni has done the trick. School arranged it for his Yr.
He's clever enough so I'll watch this space. He wants to cure diabetes but he thinks surgery is only way for his mum. I do too as it's developed too much in the wrong direction.
I won't give up, even after surgery. In fact that's when the hard work starts but their help is hugely appreciated. At least hunger and med's affects are the main assistance I need. High fat didn't cure my hunger as my stomach has stretched too much and won't shrink back down. Op will resolve that.
Meds have huge affects on me and I'm on some heavy meds which I'm not qualified to reduce or know when. Betablockers especially.
I know I'm in for a bumpy ride. I'm confident though they have loads of experience with obesity and these meds being stopped or reduced. My poor gp would have been overwhelmed. He's a great general practitioner but he's expertise isn't reducing meds in such circumstances.
Ive followed a very low calorie diet before so I know possible but now older need bariatric support. Physical help.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Ickihun,
It is good your son is aiming high. A lot of hard work is involved, but my eldest, who went to Leeds, wouldn't have any differently. When she went there, few from comprehensives were in the course and a lot were from private schools.
My youngest did a different degree at Newcastle uni.
Hope your surgery is not too delayed and the issues get resolved.
best wishes
Derek

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Ickihun,
It is good your son is aiming high. A lot of hard work is involved, but my eldest, who went to Leeds, wouldn't have any differently. When she went there, few from comprehensives were in the course and a lot were from private schools.
My youngest did a different degree at Newcastle uni.
Hope your surgery is not too delayed and the issues get resolved.
best wishes
Derek
I was logged as 135.00kgs at GP practice yesterday so just another 5lb+ off needed. I know I will get it. Swimming on Saturday but with whole family so not very relaxed.

lindisfel

Expert
I was logged as 135.00kgs at GP practice yesterday so just another 5lb+ off needed. I know I will get it. Swimming on Saturday but with whole family so not very relaxed.
Your going in the right direction, but you also have the determination which is great help.
ATB
Derek

lindisfel

Expert
Had a recheck on my bloods last week.
My Neutrophil was in range at 2.6 but Lymphocytes were out of range at 1.1.
All the other parameters in my full blood count were within the lab ranges.

My GGT had come back in range at 50.
Best eGFR yet at 81.
Derek