Lower blood sugar = higher blood pressure?

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all, I am looking for opinions here.

I was diagnosed 6 months ago with type 2 and put on 1000mg Metformin twice a day. Because of some rather irritating side effects I was switched to Gliclazide about a month ago, my appetite returned and I was able to eat properly again. I regularly monitor both my blood sugar and blood pressure.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been very good at controlling my blood sugar levels through medication (Gliclazide) and healthy eating (LCHF) as a result I have been experiencing blood sugar levels mostly between 4.0-5.0. More recently I have noticed that my blood sugar has been dipping into hypo territory (3.5 - 3.9) even after a good filling meal. As an example, tonight I had a good sized waygu beef steak with fried bean sprouts, fried canned mushrooms and a can of coors light, followed by 4 squares of Carbzone dark chocolate. The before meal reading of 5.1, which 2 hours later dropped to 3.6 eek! What gets me worried is that because of the lowish before meal reading, I decided to forego my evening gliclazide and I expected my level to rise a bit.

I have noticed during the low sugar level times that my blood pressure measures much higher than usual. With medication I was reading a reasonably normal 120-135/60-70, but lately it has gone up to 145-160/75-80.

I really thought I had a handle on my condition, but with the latest readings I am getting a little lost. You know something is not right when you have to eat some sugar to get your levels up to a reasonable reading before going to bed!

Excuse the long ramble, I guess I am looking for some advice and reassurance.

Jeremy

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drinking alcohol can drop your BG levels. Happens to me when I drink a glass of red wine.

Not too sure how gliclazide actually works, but if it is like metformin, then the effect of taking/dropping the medication takes time to kick in / drop off (from a few days to several days).

Someone else may be able to give you their thoughts on the BP.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your blood sugars are dipping too low then you need to reduce the gliclazide. It can be dangerous to drive with very low blood sugars. If you have more than one serious hypo then you need to contact the DVLA.

I found my blood pressure has reduced after LCHF. It was around 130/80 when diagnosed with T2 and recently 110/70,

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi @JeremySE18 - Gliclazide is a relatively strong drug (certainly stronger than metformin) and can bring your levels down to dangerous levels IF the dose is too high for you personally and IF you are eating too few carbohydrates. I was on Glicalzide but came off it as I started a low carb diet and I have never regretted it as my levels are pretty good now purely through diet...and I never have a hypo...but I did while on Gliclazide. I am not saying avoid it, but make sure your levels aren't dropping too low. As for blood pressure..I have had high blood pressure for decades due to an inherited kidney condition and I see no indication that my diet has a negative impact on it. Bear in mind that lots of things can cause high blood pressure...so keep an eye on it and discuss it with your GP if your systolic level (ie. the first one) is regularly above 145; your diastolic level (of up to 80) is not high at all.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Stress such as having a hypo can cause your blood pressure to rise. You might want to discuss your diet and medication dosages with your doc and also test your blood pressure when you are cruising at 5 or so and feeling fine.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, @JeremySE18

Can I ask, before you tested your BG, how did you feel? Were you feeling lightheaded and like you might be a little bit low on BG side? Or were you fine and the reading surprised you?

While I'm absolutely not contradicting any of the (excellent) advice and insight given by other posters, I find retesting a surprising result is often helpful - don't forget our BG readings aren't set in stone and meters are only accurate to +/- 15%.

Try carrying out a control solution test to make sure your meter is reading accurately - I test across 2 meters as one of them tends to read a little on the high side and I'm often shocked to get readings of 8+ on days when I've had less than 50g of carbs!

But to also repeat what's been said already, do have a chat with your DN / GP about your meds and your diet. While the NHS can be intolerant of a low carb diet, they still need to know about it precisely because it affects the type and amount of meds you'll be given.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

Sock x

Reactions: ziggy_w