Lower morning Levels

whatashock

Good morning, and seasons greetings.

Diagnosed T2 back in March, and have what I would term as acceptable levels. Have been checking my levels 3 or 4 times a day, but about 6-8 weeks ago I stopped taking htem in the morning, as I knew that I was going to be somewhere between 6.8 and 7.2.

Last week I decided to check them to see if there was any difference, and was 6.0, and now in teh morning, I seem to be ranging from 5.8 to 6.2

I have not made a concious decision in changing my diet in this time. My GP does not think I have lost any weight.

I am on 2 x 500g of Metformin a day. Could it be that the effect has taken 6 months to kick in fully?

Answers appreciated.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi whatashock,

I can't really figure out what you are asking, or indeed trying to say! :?

A morning reading of 6.0 is a excellent reading, between 5-6 is where I strive to be each morning. Don't know much about Metformin, other type 2's will be along shortly to answer your '6 month' query.

I know test strips are expensive for those who pay, but it is worth keeping a eye on your readings, as they can fluctuate without knowing it sometimes, often for no apparent reason.

Good luck

Nigel

whatashock

Beleive me, I am very happy about it, but I was just wondering why such (I think) a large drop.

I have never really asked about what each .1 means in reality, so for example a lowering from 6.4 to 6.3 what does that mean.

In the same way that people talk about spikes. Is a spike .4 or 2.0 increase?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
whatashock said:
Diagnosed T2 back in March, and have what I would term as acceptable levels. Have been checking my levels 3 or 4 times a day, but about 6-8 weeks ago I stopped taking htem in the morning, as I knew that I was going to be somewhere between 6.8 and 7.2.

Were those levels fasting levels, pre meals, post prandial (meals) 1 hr, 2 hrs ???

Last week I decided to check them to see if there was any difference, and was 6.0, and now in teh morning, I seem to be ranging from 5.8 to 6.2

Again, when are these readings taken ??

I am on 2 x 500g of Metformin a day. Could it be that the effect has taken 6 months to kick in fully?

Metformin typically takes effect almost immediately and the effect will build up over time, however diet can have more effect. Have you changed anything recently ? Bg levels will aslo fluctuate over the 24hr period, so there is no telling what the levels would be at any time. Testing frequently is the only way to know exactly what is happening. If it has improved then that has to be a good thing.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
whatashock said:
Beleive me, I am very happy about it, but I was just wondering why such (I think) a large drop.

I have never really asked about what each .1 means in reality, so for example a lowering from 6.4 to 6.3 what does that mean.

In the same way that people talk about spikes. Is a spike .4 or 2.0 increase?

whatashock.
6.4 to 6.3........it is just a lowering of a reading by 1/10th mmol/l. Nothing in the scale of things really. Lower is better of course. Any lowering of Bg readings will decrease any risks of complications.

Spikes......Think of a graph, if you see only a minor blip on the graph, that is all it is....minor. However, if you see a sudden rise on the graph, then that is a 'spike.' So, .4 would be a blip, 2 would be a 'spike'. However, not much of one really. My idea of a 'spike' is when Bg goes from 5 to 8 or 9 in an hour say.....now that's a spike !