Lowering my carb intakes

missjulie85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Sorry if this has been posted before but im so stuck im trying to lower my carb intake by cutting out wholemeal bread rice pasta etc trouble is I don't have a lot of money and these are foods I can afford cpuld anyone recommend any better foods that wouldn't break the bank

Thanks

Julie

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Sorry if this has been posted before but im so stuck im trying to lower my carb intake by cutting out wholemeal bread rice pasta etc trouble is I don't have a lot of money and these are foods I can afford cpuld anyone recommend any better foods that wouldn't break the bank

Thanks

Julie

Hi and welcome,

Do you have a Lidl near you? They sell beautiful high protein rolls (in the fresh bread baskets). Normal price is 29p a roll, and believe me, half a roll toasted with plenty of butter is enough for me with a meal. Currently they are on offer at 4 for a pound.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi all

Thankschicken,
Julie
Hi @missjulie85 ... and welcome
A lot depends on personal taste but foods that are low-carb include: ham, chicken, fish, cheese, salads, mixed veg, (above ground veg are best), eggs, bacon, sauaage, steak, full fat yoghurt, full fat mayo, cream, olives, nuts, avocado, and so on ...
For bread, Lidl sells a protein roll and there is a Bergun bread from Asda
And much more .. there is a Low-Card Diet forum that you can read and I'm sure that you will find many more suggestions here
Hope this helps

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haunt the marked down cabinet - the big Tesco near us is always selling off good things for pennies.
I don't mind cooking cheaper cuts of meat - I never buy chicken breast fillets for instance, I get thighs with bone and skin, roast them right and you get delicious meat and also chicken fat for cooking mushrooms.

Reactions: jd58

jd58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low fat and carbs
Just east meat with butter and water - no need to worry about carbs at all