LOW'ish CARB RICH BUTTER SPONGE

gbswales

Hi all - well I am a guy and dont consider myself much of a cook but I had a go at adapting a recipe for Rich Butter cake - I didnt expect much but I knew the core recipe was good because my partner had baked the original a few times - so here goes
Rich Butter Cake
4122628162_8f7acce74b.jpg
If you dont see the image go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/gbswales/4122628162/
This might not be some peoples definition of low carb :oops: but I found the self-raising flour stopped it tasting like marzipan and gave it a good cake texture. Whole cake is just over 100g carbs so an eighth portion is only about 13g which for really nice cake isnt bad :D
Ingredients
  • 250g Unsalted butter
    20 Tablespoons Splenda
    4 Large Eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or essence)
    180g Ground Almonds
    60g Self-raising flour
    2 teaspoon baking Powder
    185ml whole milk
Method
-Preheat oven to 180C (170C Fan assisted)
-line the base of cake tin with greasproof and grease the sides with butter
-Beat the butter with the Splenda using an electric beater until well mixed light and creamy.
-add the eggs one at a time and beat until fully mixed
add the vanilla essence and beat until mixed (at this point I found the mixture seperates out a little probably because of the Splenda rather than sugar but it didnt cause a problem)
-sift the flour, baking power and ground almonds together and fold these into the mix a bit at a time, adding some of the milk each time.
-Stir just until the mix is combined (dont over stir or beat)
-pour mix into tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes
-do the usual knife or skewer test to check it is cooked through
-Leave in tin to cool for at least 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack.

gbswales

The cake didnt rise as much as the original high carb one did and my partner thought it was a little too moist/oily. Actually thats the way I like my cake but he prefers sponge to be lighter and a little dryer

The original recipe has 185g of self-raising flour which I reduced to about 60g plus 2tsp Baking powder. I am not sure whether to increase the flour to ground almonds ratio (but that would up the carbs quite a bit) or whether to double the baking powder and maybe add a little less milk

if any of those people out there who actually know how to cook have any ideas I would be interested in them

Thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'll copy the recipe and try it at the weekend. don't have time until then.
It probably didn't rise as much, because ground almonds don't have any gluten to hold the air bubbles. Adding a little gluten powder might work, or perhaps an eg wite whipped up.
Hana