Lucozade free

lely

When in gym. And BG drops quick I'll top myself up with lucozade but seems a bit of a waste of time using the Cals and drinking the Cals. Someone has suggested using lucozade free.
Can it be used to recover low bg same as normal?
Any info appreciated.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never heard of Lucozade Free @lely Do you have a link?

I stick to the original or orange ones as they have enough glucose to work properly. There are some lower sugar ones and some zero sugar ones, but I wouldn't use them to treat lows.

I'm not sure how the calories compare but you could try dextrose tablets maybe.

gem09

If I go low, I try to go for pure fruit juices and at least I know that I'm getting one of my five a day lol. If it's an intense cycle or something for stamina I just use dextrose tabs to keep going.

Sent from my D5803 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lucozade free has no carbs so there's no point in using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive only heard of lucozade zero and the point of lucozade zero is that it has no sugar - so it would not treat a hypo. If you are really very worried about calories, do a bit of experimenting to figure out how many grams of carbohydrate (fast acting glucose like dextrose tablets or lucozade) you need to bring you up 1 mmol and then you van make sure you are having the fewest calories possible to effectively treat your hypo. Although i do like the idea of fruit purée so you can tell yourself you are at least taking something good in.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My favourite gym drink, especially if I'm doing high intensity workout is orange cordial and water with 2 tea spoons glucose powder (purchased from Holland and Barrett). It's cheaper than all the fancy must have exercise drinks and does exactly the same job, plus I get to control what goes in. Light workout just 1tea spoon. Happy training

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its really hard in my area now to find the normal lucozades as they are being replaced by the sugar free ones!!! even in asda's!