Lump question for diabetic women...

TeresaM

Dislikes
People (nurses and doctors mainly) who tell me its easy to control diabetes... i struggle!!
Hi,

Do any of you know if having lumps in your breast can be diabetes associated? Found a lump and i guess im trying to find lots of "other" reasons for it... Had an external lump once and doc gave me antibiotics and it went and said diabetics can get them from time to time. This lump is internal though so not sure its the same thing... anyone know anything about it?

Tried to get a doctors apt but as usual they have nothing this week. Was told to ring each morning to check for a book on the day appointment...

getting quite stressed about it to be honest!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya teresa,
try not to worry and go see your gp,i suffer from breast lumps which ive had since b4 i was diabetic,it is scary as my mum had breast cancer but the majority of lumps are non cancerous :)

Blackadder

Can these lumps appear anywhere else?

I have lipomas on the upper parts of my legs, they don't hurt and are moveable but are fatty deposits. I had a couple removed and had a biopsy but they were just fatty deposits. The dr did say that it could be another rare complaint called Dercum Syndrome but they are not painful so this was unlikely.

I was told to leave them unless I wanted them removed for cosmetic reasons, they are only the size of a small marble. I wondered if this was the same thing as it sounds similar from the article you linked.

Katharine

Teresa,

If you are in the menstruating age range it will be helpful for your doctor to examine the lump after your period till the midcyle time.

Very commonly normal tissue in the breast flares up mid cycle till the period. These often feel like worms and are quite tender. If you are seen with lumps at this stage the doctor usually needs to see you in a hormonally quieter part of the menstrual cycle.

If it is a new discrete lump you will need to see the doctor to put your mind at rest or make a diagnosis if the doc thinks you need a breast clinic referral.

Katharine.

TeresaM

Dislikes
People (nurses and doctors mainly) who tell me its easy to control diabetes... i struggle!!
Thanks for the linky and advice.... Im hopefully gonna get an apt at the docs tomorrow cos i need my mind putting at ease. im a right stress head at the best of times!!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I had a lump a few years ago. It came up quite quickly and was the size of a walnut. Doctor sent me to the breast screening clinic for a mammogram aand the lump was diagnosed as an infected milk gland. Harmless in the end.

TeresaM

Dislikes
my GP says i have to go to the clinic to have it checked. They will apparently ring me next week with an appointment! Ick, scary!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
try not to worry teresa(easier said than done i know)
and good luck ,it still may be nothing,i go regulary with my mum 4 check ups and loads of people are perfectly fine,i hope you are,will be thinking of you :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I know it's pointless to say don't worry but try and put it to the back of your mind just now till you see what the doctor says.Good luck with your appointment and let us know how you get on.

moonstone

I started getting cysts in my breasts at the same time as T1 was coming on slowly in the background, on the day I was diagnosed I coincidentally had another appt at the breast unit so I was running round the hospital all day dragging my new blood sugar monitor with me, up to diabetes, down to bloods, into breast clinic, back to diabetes, back to bloods... nightmare. I asked them if it was related, they said no; however, one website did say that women with T1 are more likely to get breast cysts. I have a colleague whose T1 friend is the same. Because I'd been diagnosed with T1 I opted out of having the new ones aspirated at that point due to my overwhelming nightmare with needles(!) so left them there, where they remain 7 months later. I've put on so much weight (went from 8.5st to 10st, 5ft8) that my breasts have gained lots of welcome fat, so I don't even notice them any more anyway. Breast cysts are not harmful and do not lead to cancer, but I always have them checked as during the time I've had them (over 2yrs) my mum's had a double mastectomy so it's always wise to be checked out.