Lumpy tum

Snail96

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys! Haven’t posted for a little while!
My mum is a type 1 diabetic and has been in insulin since October. She’s been objecting in her stomach and legs and alternating however she has lots of very sore lumps where she has been piercing the skin. Is there any creams or anything at all that can help her? She is in a lot of pain. Thank you in advance!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Snail96
welcome to the forum.

here is a pic of places to inject to help spread the load of injection sites.....
diabetes6[1].jpg

perhaps show your mum this..............i am not personally aware of any creams to assist ........maybe somebody else may have some assistance with this.

Reactions: mountaintom

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My mum is a type 1 diabetic and has been in insulin since October. She’s been objecting in her stomach and legs and alternating however she has lots of very sore lumps where she has been piercing the skin. Is there any creams or anything at all that can help her? She is in a lot of pain. Thank you in advance!
By lumpy do you mean lots of small lumps or larger almost fatty deposits? There are a few things which might help. As @himtoo posted above, making sure the injection sites are spread out is really useful. I find giving my larger doses (for me this is long acting) into my legs and bum is easier as there is more tissue for it to disperse in so it doesn't create lumps under the skin. Another thing to make sure your mum is doing is changing her injection needles every time she injects. She might already be doing this but if not, a good habit to get into. Finally, have you mentioned this to your diabetes team? They may look at changing the needle lengths, but if she's already on 4mm not sure if there is anything to change to. Hope this helps.

Snail96

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
By lumpy do you mean lots of small lumps or larger almost fatty deposits? There are a few things which might help. As @himtoo posted above, making sure the injection sites are spread out is really useful. I find giving my larger doses (for me this is long acting) into my legs and bum is easier as there is more tissue for it to disperse in so it doesn't create lumps under the skin. Another thing to make sure your mum is doing is changing her injection needles every time she injects. She might already be doing this but if not, a good habit to get into. Finally, have you mentioned this to your diabetes team? They may look at changing the needle lengths, but if she's already on 4mm not sure if there is anything to change to. Hope this helps.

Hi isjoberg,
Thank you for your help,
I believe my mum has numerous little lumps but very painful. I know she has been injecting in her stomach and front of her thighs, I will let her know to try in her bottom. If it continuous I think we will have to get in touch with her team.

Thank you for being very understanding, all advise is appreciated.

April-Lea

Snail96

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there @Snail96
welcome to the forum.

here is a pic of places to inject to help spread the load of injection sites.....View attachment 26593

perhaps show your mum this..............i am not personally aware of any creams to assist ........maybe somebody else may have some assistance with this.

Hi Himtoo,

Thank you for your help, I will be showing my mum this image later on for sure! What a big help this is.
I didn't expect much regarding the cream but always better to ask than suffer.

Thank you for your advice!

April-Lea

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The needles come in different gauges, to minimize pain and discomfort choose the smallest gauge compatible with the needle lenght. As far as I know the smallest gauge is 30G.

Gauges and needle length
The measurements of needles relate to how long the needle is. When a needles measurement is 31G, the G (or g) refers to the gauge of the needle. This donates the thickness, size, or capacity.

The gauge and needle length will contribute to perceptions of pain when injecting.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its not a long time to be injecting.......I wouldn't expect to see needle related lumps at this stage.....

maybe if it keeps up and further rotation doesn't help she should get them looked at.....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Has your mother been using new needles every time she injects? Just a thought.