Lunch

jicjacs

Hi everyone, rattling my brain here, I'm going out for lunch to a friend's leaving do and I'm starting to panic as Im a newly diagnosed T2 what can I order on the menu, that doesn't have too many carbs please help

jicjacs

hi Tipetoo, I'm really sorry I should of said I don't like red meat, could I eat Caesar salad without the croutons though ...

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it like a restaurant meal, or buffet food?
Restaurant/pub meal you can usually order the meat, and ask for potatoes/chips to be swapped for some extra veggies or salad. Obviously steer clear of the pasta dishes. Buffet can be a it harder, so many buffet foods seem carby, any meat bits that are easy to de-pastry like pork pie, they may have some sandwiches you can remove the bread from, scotch eggs or any boiled eggs, salad, cheese and pineapple sticks if you leave the pineapple.

Or just accept its one meal, and you may not be able to have very low carb, just keep your portions small and take the sugar rise, while happily seeing your colleague on his/her merry way.

Edit if it’s a restaurant/pub and you know where your going you can usually look up the menu online to give you an idea of what’s on offer. If you can screenshot it, and post here, people might be able to give you specific dishes on the menu that sound good.

D

Deleted member 308541

hi Tipetoo, I'm really sorry I should of said I don't like red meat, could I eat Caesar salad without the croutons though ...
What about the other meat, the white meat like chook or pork...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All meat and fish is low carb, only take the batter off if it has any. You could even order a burger without the bun or bacon and eggs without the bread :)
Worst case scenario, you could eat the toppings from the sandwiches and stick a couple of boiled eggs or nuts in your pocket in case you get real hungry.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im a newly diagnosed T2 what can I order on the menu,
What ever you want one meal isn't gong to kill you.

Yes it is best to keep to the low carb diet, if that's what your thinking, but one meal isn't going to hurt how low carb are you going? Something like bacon and eggs for breakfast and chicken omelette for dinner are both no carb that should help you balance out your carbs at lunch.

WARNING: Sarcasm ahead.
what can I order on the menu,
Don't know haven't seen the menu. ;)
:bag:

Reactions: jicjacs

jicjacs

Thank you everyone, yes it's a sit down meal posh restaurant, not looking forward to it, as its first time eating out, don't want to look like a rabbit caught in headlights when I'm looking at the menu

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone, yes it's a sit down meal posh restaurant, not looking forward to it, as its first time eating out, don't want to look like a rabbit caught in headlights when I'm looking at the menu
Does it have a website? A phone number? An e-mail adress? You can probably look at the menu on the website to make a plan, or contact them about your wishes and explain it's new to you and you're nervous. If it's posh they'll be happy to help you out, so you can enjoy the day!
Good luck!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I eat out I do struggle to find an option on the menu that has no carbs or low carbs. Often there is maybe only one option that comes close. A couple of nights ago I had a mixed grill comprising steak, gammon, sausages and two fried eggs but that came with chips and onion rings which I ditched, the rest was meat then with some peas and half a tomato. That worked for me on a moderately low carb diet. Typically I often ask for a glass of whole milk rather than any of the drink choices unless it is a Diet Coke or lemonade.

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t feel embarrassed to go for 2 starters or a main and ask (it doesn’t cost anything) to swap any spuds or else for more more more vegetables.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
If the menu is not available online, I sometimes reluctantly eat some low-carb food before I go. Then I am not faced with anxiety/hunger and feeling obliged to pay for and eat food that I know will be doing me no favours. This also saves me leaving half my food on the plate.

Reactions: jpscloud

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually if it is a sit down do you can ask for more veges or a salad rather than the chips - last time I did that I got both!!

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, rattling my brain here, I'm going out for lunch to a friend's leaving do and I'm starting to panic as Im a newly diagnosed T2 what can I order on the menu, that doesn't have too many carbs please help

Someone mentioned about having a snack before going - I think that's a very good idea!
It's like going to the grocery - you don't shop on an empty stomach!
Snack on high protein, like an egg, or some cheese.

Some restaurants offer some low-carbs options, same way as they offer vegetarian options too. They may not appear on the menu, but maybe available upon request. Don't be shy to ask about it.

Non-breaded roast meats, meat sandwiches with whole wheat bread - don't be shy to instruct the waiter to eliminate side-dishes of potatoes or rice that come with the meal.
Sometimes you get options of green salad instead (which is good) - no croutons, however!
And, don't be shy to say so.

Try not to get tempted with desserts - just stick to coffee or tea after the meal.
Imho, it's best to get out of the habit of having sweets - think of this as a good challenge to test your
will power!

Especially that you're newly diagnosed (and trying to get the hang of this), you have to stick to your new diet.
Don't fall off the wagon - one time, is one too many! Believe me, I'm talking from experience!

Think of it this way too: it's a good way to learn how to navigate around dining out and yet,
sticking to your diet. Being diabetic does not mean having no social life! :)

Last edited:

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone, yes it's a sit down meal posh restaurant,

If it's fine dining, the good news is that they tend to give small portions.
Have that snack at home before you go.

Don't be shy to say no to potatoes or carbs, please.
The chef should get the message.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
How did the meal go? Curious because i have similar dificulties when eating out.