Lunch!

Amy8668

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all :)

I have posted in here before regarding my partner who will not take care of his diabetes, so my question today is how much Novorapid should he inject after his lunch!

For lunch he has (The list begins!)
a Chinese container full of pasta
A chicken tikka pasty
a peperrami
3-4 packs of crisps
and sometimes a curly wurly (rarely now as we argue a lot about what he eats!)

I'm not looking for an exact answer as everybody is different, but I have no idea how much he should be doing, currently he injects nothing after lunch!

Thanks for your help!

Katiemorag

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have posted in here before regarding my partner who will not take care of his diabetes, so my question today is how much Novorapid should he inject after his lunch!

A chicken tikka pasty
a peperrami
3-4 packs of crisps

I'm not looking for an exact answer as everybody is different, but I have no idea how much he should be doing, currently he injects nothing after lunch!

Thanks for your help!

Katiemorag

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Rather than give you a number, I think showing you how to work it out would be better.

First, work out the carbohydrates for each meal you listed. Most packets will set this out, either by meal or per 100g. If they do it by meal it's great but more often they do it per 100g.

As an example, pasta is approx 30g of carbs per 100g of pasta. If he has 350g of pasta then he has had
30g carbs x 3.5 = 105g of carbs.

Then apply the right ratio of insulin. This can be tricky to work out at first because it varies:
1) from person to person,
2) what kind of carbs they are (for example chocolate which has fat in it, behaves differently to mashed potatoe)
3) sometimes time of day/meal.
It's a trial and error balancing game.

When I was started on Novarapid they gave me a ratio of 1 unit of insulin to 10 carbs so maybe start there or if you are concerned about making him hypo (him taking too much insulin for what he has eaten) maybe try a lower ratio to start with 1:15.

So for his 350g of pasta, which is 105g of carbs, on a 1:10 ratio, he would need 10 units of Novarapid.

Ultimately, you can't do this for him. But if you work out the carb values for him, perhaps he won't feel like he is in it alone. I know it makes me feel less alone if, on the days my husband makes dinner, he tells me the meal's carb dose and doesn't start eating till I'm done injecting.

The other great thing my husband does when I'm down about it all, is make me a huge fry up, (egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes) cos it has no/very few carbs and I can have a meal-holiday from being diabetic.

It's an annoying disease, interrupts one of life's great pleasures (eating), is relentless and only slowly kills from the inside where it can't be seen so it's easy to go into self denial. If head on isn't working maybe finding alternatives is. The low carb forum has loads of great recipes to try - and they aren't "weird hippy rabbit food" (quote from my surprised friend).

Good luck and hope you find a way to help him.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

A chicken tikka pasty
a peperrami
3-4 packs of crisps

Thanks for your help!
Impossible to answer for various reasons. Don 't know how big a "container" is, don't know insulin:carb ratio, how big is the pasty etc. As previous poster mentioned, he needs to know his ratio first. He should speak to a dietician as that amount of carbs for lunch is going to cause problems long term. Lastly, for a meal like that, always better to inject before eating, not after. Gives the insulin a little time to prepare for what's coming. Don't like to presume but sounds like he's in denial ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App