Lyumjev KwikPen

alistairmor22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Running and jogging
I am 73 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 32 years and until recently have had reasonable control. However, a few months ago after finding humalog /lantus was not controlling blood sugar well I was changed to a Lyumjev KwikPen/Tresiba regime since when my blood sugars have been highly erratic. A very few times it has caused hypos but mostly it has resulted in very high blood sugar levels. Corrective doses have failed to reduce these levels in the short term and often have little or no effect in reducing levels long term. When administering doses with the KwikPen there is often very little resistance when pushing the button and I am not sure if insulin is actually going in.I match doses to carbs. Has anyone else encountered similar problems or can anyone suggest a solution?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
When administering doses with the KwikPen there is often very little resistance when pushing the button and I am not sure if insulin is actually going in.I match doses to carbs
Have you tried injecting twenty units into the cap of a needle? It should just fill up to the top of the lower thin straight bit of the cap.

Alternatively, if you really doubt your pen, you could try asking for a new one or try injecting with an old style syringe to see if that gets you better results.

Insulin pens do go wrong sometimes.

I haven't used those insulins so can't be of any further help, but hopefully you'll get some more advice soon.

Good luck.

Reactions: Hopeful34

alistairmor22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Running and jogging
Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I haven't tried injecting 20 units into the needle cap but I will give it a try.
I still have a few old syringes from days long gone by so I will try that also.
Thanks for your help.