Maculopathy

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I am hoping for some reassurance if possible please.
I went to the opticians last week, and she said she could see some diabetic damage to the area near to my macula on my left eye. She did an OCT scan, and this also showed the same. Due to my retinal screening being in a couple of weeks time, she didnt suggest anything, or refer me anywhere. However, I sent my images to a family friend who is a top ophthalmologist who wants to see me straight away, as he is concerned that there are leaks in the back of my eye, and thinks I may need laser treatment. I am seeing him tomorrow to have the checks done.
Since finding this out, I am scared stiff. I am so worried about going blind, and I am in such a state about it.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Helen

Dark Horse

I would imagine that your ophthalmologist friend will repeat the OCT and will decide whether you should be offered treatment on the basis of that. Damage 'near the macula' is much less worrying than damage in the centre of the macula. Modern treatments are very good at preserving vision.

This page has lots of information about diabetic maculopathy treatment plus lifestyle advice to reduce the risk of progression:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/diabetic_maculopathy.html

Reactions: Helen1981

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does diabetic maculopathy always end up with blindness eventually, or can treatment still this happening entirely?
Thank you.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had diabetic maculopathy 2 times in the last 5 years or so (the first time I got a letter it scared the hell out of me), but for me on each occasion they sent me for screening more often to keep an eye on it and it has managed to resolve itself without any treatment. so for me so far no it has definitely not lead to blindness and I am currently maculopathy free

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had diabetic maculopathy 2 times in the last 5 years or so (the first time I got a letter it scared the hell out of me), but for me on each occasion they sent me for screening more often to keep an eye on it and it has managed to resolve itself without any treatment. so for me so far no it has definitely not lead to blindness and I am currently maculopathy free
Oh wow , that is amazing, you must be so relieved. I had a small area in the right eye which cleared up on its own. However, the left eye is new, and now has a few dots around the macula which is a worry. I am hoping it will clear by itself but not so sure this time.

Dark Horse

Does diabetic maculopathy always end up with blindness eventually, or can treatment still this happening entirely?
Thank you.
Blindness from diabetic maculopathy is not inevitable. The whole purpose of screening for diabetic maculopathy is to prevent blindness by detecting it at an early stage when treatment is most effective. Treatment plus a gradual improvement in diabetic control will reduce the risk of sight-loss.

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blindness from diabetic maculopathy is not inevitable. The whole purpose of screening for diabetic maculopathy is to prevent blindness by detecting it at an early stage when treatment is most effective. Treatment plus a gradual improvement in diabetic control will reduce the risk of sight-loss.
Thank you. I need to find a way to not live in fear of going blind every day.