Magioni Pizza Crusts

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a Dutch company selling pizzas with 30% veg crusts launching in Waitrose and other supermarkets. They claim to replace 30%of the flour with cauliflower or courgettes. I had a look on their website go to Magioni.com and though I think their crusts will be too high carb for me they stupidly give a recipe for making the crust “the hard way with a messy kitchen” which just involves cauliflower, egg, herbs and cheese. I will defo give that a go. They recommend microwaving the cauliflower and then the process of drying it with several teatowels. I would just steam it or bake in conventional oven. Apparently they have been very popular in the Netherlands where they sell the veg crusts with toppings also.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fat head dough does for me. I just make the dough and tear off enough for me, put the rest in a plastic bag and it will keep for a few days. It makes great garlic bread.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauli pizza base is super easy to make, and you can control exactly what goes in. I have used two variations, very similar but one also has almond flour.
I keep bags of ready blitz cauliflower in the freezer for when I fancy a pizza :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauli pizza base is super easy to make, and you can control exactly what goes in. I have used two variations, very similar but one also has almond flour.
I keep bags of ready blitz cauliflower in the freezer for when I fancy a pizza :)
When you say you keep ready blitzed cauli in the freezer may I ask is this something you prepare yourself?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never tried the fat head pizza but I should. Tbh I usd to love VERY occasionally going to Pizza Express for a pizza with my OH. I have never been a big consumer of home cooked pizza. I just found it interesting that a company was thinking of producing a lower carb pizza base. Maybe this is a sign of things to come.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say you keep ready blitzed cauli in the freezer may I ask is this something you prepare yourself?
yes i buy fresh cauliflower when in season and on offer, blitz the florets up in a food processer to rice grain size then freeze in portions. Many big supermarkets sell frozen cauli rice too, but I havent tried them yet.
I do buy frozen cauliflower too and use it to make cauli mash.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in the Netherlands and I think I encountered one of those pizza bases in my local supermarket some time back. I read the back of the package and the price, and opted for a regular pizza instead, there didn't seem to be much benefit in those 'pizza's with a little vegetables mixed in the dough'. Much easier to top a cheap regular pizza with so much cheese and vegetables that you eat less of it and end up with fewer carbs than when eating this fancy pizza.
I believe it's mainly marketed to busy parents with picky eaters, as a trick to get some veggies in their toddlers.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in the Netherlands and I think I encountered one of those pizza bases in my local supermarket some time back. I read the back of the package and the price, and opted for a regular pizza instead, there didn't seem to be much benefit in those 'pizza's with a little vegetables mised in the dough'. Much easier to top a cheap regular pizza with so much cheese and vegetables that you eat less of it and end up with fewer carbs than when eating this fancy pizza.
I believe it's mainly marketed to busy parents with picky eaters, as a trick to get some veggies in their toddlers.
I was so happy to see such pizza bases in the Jumbo supermarket, until I discovered it was just a percentage; it's still a high-carb base. To me it felt like they were just trying to jump on the bandwagon, but completely missed the point. Case of "klok wel horen luiden, maar weet niet waar de klepel hangt". Ah well.

Reactions: marathonmona