Magnificent May Fast!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Phinney but his reaction to fasting seems a bit out there.
I think its because he usually deals with athletes who have little body fat to spare so fasting for extended periods just doesn't suit them. Jason Fung on the other hand deals with mostly obese Type 2's who have plenty of fuel. Someone at the PHC at the weekend reckoned that someone with a BMI of I think 30 probably is carrying 450,000 calories (don't quote me on that I may be misremembering) but a very large amount which once fat adapted will be available. One of the 2 keto dudes had worked out how many calories were available from fat each day and I can't remember that exactly either but we should be fine fasting until we get thin...which for me is quite a long way off!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all fasters. I’ve prolonged my fast till now - 95 hours. No parameter changed except Fat: morning 23.8 now 21.6. I have changed to fat burning machine :) But I have to stop now as my brain is not working any more and I need it for my work. So I’m stopping now. It was pleasure - will see you next month!
Well done you going so long. Next time it will be easier.

Reactions: rab5

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just listened to Megan Ramos ( Dr Fungs' second in command for want of a better title) talking about that very subject. To paraphrase her she stated the following:-

That ketones tend to rise and spike then fall... she herself has reached 8.0. She stated that she felt great and if you are in the same position there is nothing worry about (unless your type 1 ). She also said that it is a sign that your body is in ketosis but is still working out what to do with the ketones, but that it will work with them and they should lower. However she did emphasise that high ketones are not something to worry about.

I'm extremely comfortable that ketones + lower blood glucose is fine. Where I am perhaps a little less clear is how our bodies react in those circumstamces with continues valoric deficits. It's the starvation/metabolism thing that I'm not so sure about.

I don't fast, although having gone off yoghurt a bit, I'm pretty well skipping brekkers these days, so my eating window is relatively limited, one way or another.

Bearing in mind, I'm 160/48kg this morning, I'm continually skirting the lower end of the Healthy BMI range, and this morning diiped my toe lower. That'll probably blip up again in the morning, and I do know what I have to do to get that little bit of weight back on, so I'm not verly concerned. I already have to eat a lot (average just under 2500 calories a day) to maintain so the re-feeding phase, for me could be very tiresome. When I lost a couple of kilos, post surgically a couple of years ago, it took me two months to regain it.

Please don't think I'm raining on anyone's BBQ. I'm certainly not. I admire and support anyone doing this, provided they understand what they're doing and that, like all other approaches, it isn't a magic bullet.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Some early evening data

BG 4.2

Ketones. 6.1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some early evening data

BG 4.2

Ketones. 6.1

Now yours have got better and mine have gone down..
BG 4.3
Ketones 4.8
All I did was walk the dog and have a creamy coffee.. odd...
Still onwards and upwards...

almost 99 hours fasted.. sleep well and see everyone in the morning.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
OK Im off to bed Im up at 0430 hrs what the hell am I doing!!!!

Last Data of the night... Fasting 4 days..1 hour 37 mins

BG . 4.2
Ketones 5.9

See yall tomorrow sometime

Reactions: shelley262

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
That’s me about to leave for work.......

BG 3.7
Ketones 5.2

Morning

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all

Good nights sleep and the cat slept though as well so no early morning miaow calls!

Numbers for today

FBG 4.0 lowest so far this fast
Ketones 4.9
Weight 207 pounds.. lightest I have been this year (since August last year in fact when I did the egg and bacon newcastle thing)
Body fat 27.9% think I may be dehydrated a bit otherwise this number seems way off...
Visceral Fat 12
BMI 28.1

Hope everyone who is continuing is feeling great. Have a wonderful day!
M

Reactions: rab5

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I broke my fast last night with final figures of:

FBG: 5.1
Ketones: 2.8

AND I managed to not suffer when starting to eat again.
I pulled a frozen steak soup/stewpot from the freezer and
kept the portion small, and the result was a happy body :)

I tested again this morning and my figures were:

FBG: 6.1
Ketones: 2.2

I always suffer from the dawn phenomenon so its pretty
good for me so my afternoon numbers will be pretty much
the same as yesterday as I'm not going to eat until 19:00.

I'm regretting buying the catering pack of Immodium now :wacky:

Good luck to all that are continuing.

Reactions: rom35 and rab5

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon numbers for today been out most of the day

BG 3.8
Ketones 5.9

Feeling slightly off.. bit of a headache then realised I had missed my two morning coffees had one at 14:30 and now feeling a bit better. Forgot to add the salt however so could be that as well.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A mere amateur by comparison, I broke the fast I started on Wednesday after breakfast, with a cup of beef bone broth this afternoon. A total of 56 hours, during which my only nutrient consumption was water, (2.5 litres a day), black coffee, (4 cups a day) green tea with lemon, (2cups a day). In addition, 2 teaspoons of double cream each day. I ate a mushroom and cheese omelette at 7pm tonight.

I have had ketone readings of 0.5 both yesterday morning and this morning.
Had a fasting BG today of 6.7, then an hour later 8.3.
Yesterday I was quite happy doing 50 minutes of resistance exercises in the gym, followed by 20 minute swim. This morning did a 50 minute aquafit session.
Not felt hungry. No discernable difference in waist circumference. I weigh 3 kg less than I did on Tuesday. Not getting too excited about that, as I believe it has mainly been water from my legs which no longer have the pitting oedema I had earlier this week. That 3 kg loss has taken me back to the weight I was before the leg swelling. I am glad it has gone, though, so if this is all I am taking from this little experiment I am happy.

One slight difficulty, around midday today, I started to feel nauseous, and that was why I decided to refeed. I started with diarrhoea, which has continued through the afternoon and evening. Sorry if that is TMI. :arghh:

Although my fasting levels are higher than I would like, I attribute that to the course of steroids I needed a few weeks ago. The numbers are no longer in double figures I was seeing immediately after the steroids. I would like to get the higher 'liver dump' an hour or so after waking sorted, though. Also to see a return to the 4s and 5s I am used to.

It has been an interesting experiment for me. I emphasise the feeling of wellbeing when fasting, and not feeling hungry at all. Will continue to monitor ketones for a few more days, and BG and weight, to see what happens. Will probably continue to fast for 24 hours once or twice a month. Longer than that, I am not sure.

Thanks for including me. Best of luck to all of you. I will follow progress with interest.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am curious - when you eventually break your extended fasts, do these numbers stick around, or do you find you go back to 'normal' (i.e. before the fast)?

Reactions: hankjam

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am curious - when you eventually break your extended fasts, do these numbers stick around, or do you find you go back to 'normal' (i.e. before the fast)?
My numbers have been far fro spectacular, but I will keep checking a bit longer and report back.

Reactions: vanillapie

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Ok had an early start this morning here are my stats this afternoon

@ 10pm tonight I will have been fasting for 5 Days

FBG 4.1
Ketones 5.6
Weight . 72kg - 11st-5.2lbs - 169.2 lbs
Body Fat 16.1
Visceral Fat 7.5
BMI 22.2

I will be breaking the fast tomorrow. I will detail the reasons at my end of fast report.

Reactions: Goonergal and Pipp

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I fell off the LCHF wagon some time ago and am using fasting to 'Fast Track' me back to where I should be. So I have fasted three times in the last 1.5 - 2 months and have step changed my readings each time and maintained a reduction each time as I go back into a hard LCHF (<20g per day).

I find the fasting means that I can better return to LCHF, to be honest i am enjoying the fasting entwined with the LCHF. It's not a jump when you are already in Ketosis.

This thread and other previously make it so much easier to achieve the numbers when you are part of a group of people on a common mission, especially when my wife and son are sat munching french baguette a particular failure of mine.

@bulkbiker causing this thread along with the other participants and also the April thread has been a godsend.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell off the LCHF wagon some time ago and am using fasting to 'Fast Track' me back to where I should be. So I have fasted three times in the last 1.5 - 2 months and have step changed my readings each time and maintained a reduction each time as I go back into a hard LCHF (<20g per day).

I find the fasting means that I can better return to LCHF, to be honest i am enjoying the fasting entwined with the LCHF. It's not a jump when you are already in Ketosis.

This thread and other previously make it so much easier to achieve the numbers when you are part of a group of people on a common mission, especially when my wife and son are sat munching french baguette a particular failure of mine.

@bulkbiker causing this thread along with the other participants and also the April thread has been a godsend.

I know exactly how you feel about the baguette... they're my achilles heel too. Probably the thing I miss most on LCHF!

Thanks for your response - I am really just curious as I am still relatively new to all this. I would like to be able to get my numbers down to a decent level and maintain them there, so I might have to consider a 24h+ fast in the future.

I agree about the community though! It's so nice to have people supporting you and to cheer on others. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow thank you it's nice to know that these threads are helping which to be honest is the only reason I spend such a lot of time here. I got such a lot of great advice from forum members when I started out on this journey that I want to make sure that other get the benefits too. I know I sometimes come across a bit "strong" but I'm afraid thats just me.

Reactions: Brunneria and Pipp