Type 2 Making low carb wholemeal bread

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We (self+wife) would like to try to make low carb (5-10g carb) wholemeal bread after seeing the post by Hallii in thread 'Bread Alternatives' posted in this forum 6 years ago:

'How about home made bread that is only 7.5 gms of carb per slice.

Yeast, sugar, and a glug of oil. Make it as per usual (I use a bread maker).
112 gms of carb the lot (ignore the tsp of sugar, it gets "eaten" by the yeast).
I get 15 slices so thats 7.5 gms of carb a slice.
It tastes good, just like "ordinary" bread really.'

We have absolutely no experience of making loaves of bread and no bread-making machine, but would like to have a go.

'Yeast, sugar, and a glug of oil':
- guessing that yeast means natural, 'live/fresh' yeast. Can we substitute yeast powder instead (e.g. Allinson Easy Bake yeast) and omit the sugar?
- how many spoons or other liquid measure is a glug of oil?

Should we add water too? Asking because a Delia Smith high-carb wholebread recipe at:
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/bread-recipes/wholemeal-loaf

says 'add 350ml hand-hot water'.

I could not see soy flour and wheat gluten in ASDA, Sainsbury and Tesco online stores, but found them in Holland & Barret and amazon.com. Any other suppliers?

My estimate:

100 gms wholemeal bread flour Kcal 330 Carb 60g Fibre 11g Prot 14
100 gms soy flour Kcal 430 Carb 31g Fibre 13g Prot 38
100 gms wheat gluten Kcal 410 Carb 8g Prot 80

Per slice for 15 slices: Kcal 78 Carb 6.6g Fibre 1.6g Prot 9g

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try:
1 cup soy flour
1 cup gluten
0.5 cup wholemeal flour
1 sachet Allinsons, Sainsburys, etc. yeast
1 Tablespoon of oil
1 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon sugar

Put the yeast in a bowl, add the sugar and enough warm water to give about 1cm in the bowl. Set aside in a warm place.
Mix all the dry ingredients and the oil.
When the yeast in the bowl has a layer of foam on it pour it into the dry ingredients and mix. It will start to form a dough.
Add more warm water a little at a time while mixing. The exact amount is hard to define but when all the dry ingredients have been wetted and come together in a lump you have enough.
Form into a ball and tip out onto the work top. Knead the dough pushing it away from you then reform into a ball and stretch again. Continue for 5 Mins. This develops the gluten which helps the yeast to form bubbles.
After 5 Mins. oil bowl lightly, place the dough in the bowl, cover in cling film, put in a warm place to rise.
When the dough has doubled in size remove it from the bowl place on the work top and shape into a dome. Put your hand at the back of the dome and pull towards you, turn a quarter turn and repeat. Do this twice more. This stretches the top of the dough and helps it keep its shape.
Place in warm place until doubled in size.
Heat oven to 240 C place loaf on a baking sheet pop into oven, reduce oven to 160 C cook for 40 Mins.
Enjoy.

Thus is a basic recipe you can add physillium husk, bran or seeds if you wish. It will keep about a week but then will start to go mouldy as there are few additives in it.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I add loads of low carb ingredients to the bread flour I use - otherwise it is just too high carb - I have put the last recipe I used on my blog on this forum, I think - I'll have to check on that, but I add milled seeds, two packs, coconut flour, psyllium flour, ground almonds - some rye flour to mask the purple colour of the psyllium, get the yeast really working in warm water with a little sugar, and add some baking powder as well, I have decided on no salt as that can inhibit the action of the yeast - be aware that there are two types of yeast, the fast acting can seem like a good idea but I found that the ordinary one can be left until the dough rises long after the fast acting one has spent its energy.
Do add as much water as you can manage to get a soft dough as that rises more easily. I spray the loaves and the oven with water to keep the dough soft as it warms up.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks. Will get the soy flour and wheat gluten ingredients and try...