1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Managing Diabetes On The Bike

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by ade2020, Feb 9, 2020.

1. ade2020

ade2020 Type 2 · Member

Hi All

I am wondering how fellow cyclists manage their diabetes while out on a longer ride 3 hours plus.

I am aware you should be stopping to check your BS every 20-30 mins especially if like me your newly diagnosed and still getting used to managing your BS on an ordinary day to day basis.

Have you set up alert reminders either through an app that partners with your bike computer ( I use Wahoo Elemnt Bolt) so having a reminder pop up would be very useful as easy to forget when in the zone.

Also is it best to eat every 30 mins on slow release carb snack. Lots to learn and take in, also my diagnosis explains why I have found my rides harder than usual over the past year or so.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This guy is a cyclist and gives a useful guide on managing bgs during exercise. I'd get a cgm to make the regular testing easier assuming you are type 1 right? It is a free e book here or you can get a hard copy on Amazon. Lots of other tips too.
    https://brightspotsandlandmines.org/
    Personally I would drop insulin rather than constantly snacking but that's as a female trying to remain lean! Past 1.5 hours cycling you may well need carby snacks unless you are used to eating less carb (fat burning adapted).

3. ade2020

ade2020 Type 2 · Member

Hi Nicole

Still waiting on my GAD test blood test that will determine my type???

Have been looking into cgm but libra shop closed to new customers at present. I am experimenting with my insulin to see what happens with my bs to my partner's annoyance as she reminds me diabetic nurse and dr advised not to but how else do I learn. I may only need background insulin instead of before meals insulin or Visa Versa.

It's all a bit of an experiment more do when exercising.

Thank you for your advice and will look up the book.

4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Libre can be bought directly from pharmacies without prescription if you have a compatible phone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. ade2020

ade2020 Type 2 · Member

I did not know that. Thanks

6. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you don't have a compatible phone (like me), it comes with its own reader anyway.

7. ade2020

ade2020 Type 2 · Member

Do you need to put an armband or tape around it in case it falls off while riding?

8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I haven't had to do this, it sticks on very firmly with its own plunger. I think some people secure it even further with a variety of tape though, I run a lot and it hasn't come off yet. No harm in using extra tape though (you can buy some made specifically for the job) when you're biking.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not from a chemist as far as I know. That’s just the sensor not the reader. Readers only available from Abbott I think.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rosco55

Rosco55 Type 1 · Member

Hi
    I road, track and trail ride. Diagnosed T1 13 years ago. Currently using Omnipod. For a 3 hour road ride I decrease my base insulin by 85%....usually 45mins prior to setting out. Sometimes require a carbo top up in last hour. Depends on intensity of ride, terrain etc. Am careful post ride in case of hypos. Eat carbo meal within 90 mins of exercise end to meet glycogen window. Seems to work OK for myself. Everyone is different. Trial and error.
    Ross

11. ade2020

ade2020 Type 2 · Member

I'm getting to grips with my diabetes now, type to have just needed background insulin 5 units morning and evening.

The more exercise I do though I don't need any insulin as my body seems to burns off carbohydrates and DN advised that I don't take insulin before going on a ride. Usually need jelly babies to maintain my sugar levels on a longer or more intense effort.

So if I exercise a lot more regularly I am hoping I will not need insulin if system self regulates.

Watch this space

12. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Active Member

I tend to always eat something like toast or crumpets before going out on the bike. I don't have any insulin with this meal and I always take jelly babies, cereal bars and gels with me. I tend to stop every 15 miles or hour for 5 minutes and have a little snack

I haven't had issues whilst out on the bike but Iv had issues after when Iv got home and had a bath I end up in hypo

Iv just started with the libre this week so I'm hoping it will help on the bike. It helped with football on Wednesday night and also yesterday when I was out on the drink for 15 hours

I'm doing the coast to coast for charity next week from Morecambe to Bridlington so it will be interesting to see what the libre is like doing that

I think just keeping plenty of stock on you and having things slowly should help

13. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I note that you are showing up as Type 2 but you are recently diagnosed and taking insulin so perhaps T1?

Anyway, as a T2 on a ketogenic diet all that carbohydrate stuff passes me by.
    I cycle fasted or with coffee, butter and cream as "breakfast".
    Being in ketosis generally means that you can ride for hours without needing anything but hydration, but you do have to eat eventually. :)

Freestyle Libre is a very useful tool.
    I bought mine from Asda pharmacy until I made it to the top of the waiting list for Abbott and now I order it on line.

I'm not sure if we have T1s on a ketogenic diet who also cycle; hopefully someone will turn up to advise if this is an option.

14. ade2020

ade2020 Type 2 · Member

Hi

I'm definitely type 2, and since I've upped my miles on the bike I have not needed any insulin at all. I had to keep topping up on the jelly babies during a 2.5hr ride this evening as I basically didn't eat the correct slow release carbs and my BS went to 5.4 when I got through the door and I then ate my dinner even had a brownie and spiked to 8.7 then went down to 6 half an hour later.

The key is exercise along with low carb diet, although I do eat some carbs without any detrimental fluctuations in my BS levels.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook