Managing type 1 on very hot holidays

Vickisch_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to plan a big holiday at the end of the year that could involve gentle trekking in Borneo (or somewhere similar) but I'm not sure about managing my diabetes. Has anyone got any experience of managing type 1 in these sorts or environments?

My main concerns are the impact of the heat and humidity on my blood sugar levels as I've never tested it in such high and humid temperatures. I know that heat leads to increased insulin sensitivity but also the chance of my insulin going off. I use frio packs for going to hot places round Europe but again not tested them in such high temperatures. Has anyone any experience of using equipment to keep their insulin cool in somewhere with 45 plus degree heat? It needs to be fairly light and transportable too!

Vicki

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey ! I went to Cambodia and Vietnam last year, and I found diabetes wise that I ran my self higher during the day because of the activity I was doing... walking miles and miles... then at night I would often be very low and have to make sure I reduced insulin both basal and bolus ! Testing for me was fine as I just made sure I tested lots and lots to see what was happening and then I accordingly adjusted ! What I did find really helpful was taking cereal bars and small packets of raisins and apricots in case a I needed card or b there wasn't anything for lunch nearby ! I put my insulin in frio wallets, and then a cool bag (little lunch one) just really to protect it and I had no issues and was out there for 3 weeks ! This year it's Indonesia I'm doing !

Reactions: Paule Foster

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Vickisch_ As you have rightly pointed out both heat and exercise impact hugely on your BG levels and can help to burn through glucose at a faster rate so eating carbs consistently as well as lots of testing is required. Always ensure you are carrying both glucose and carbs with you and you keep well stocked, you seem to have a pretty good idea of what your strategy is, see if there is a fridge in your room and of course take spare of insulin so you are well stocked, you will know pretty quickly if there is an issue with your insulin. Personally I use a libre for holidays as it helps to have re-assurance in knowing what direction your BG levels are going in and when to take action, it's worth investing if you haven't already just for the added peace of mind :)

Zaccywacky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only trouble with the Libre is that getting a bit sweaty can affect the stickiness. I found last year, when in the UK, if I was working in the heat my sensor was likely to come off if I got particularly hot and sweaty. However, when recently in the USA with high humidity and temps it was OK. Just for info.

D

Deleted Account

You ask about Frio bags. I have used them for holidays in India, Africa, South America and even in the Middle East when the temperature can get pretty high. I have not experience my insulin going off at any time. I try to keep them out of direct sunlight and refresh them regularly.

As you have used them in Europe, you probably know about flying with them: some ultra-efficient security staff are concerned by the gel in the. For this reason, I wait until I arrive at the hotel before soaking them in water.

And as I have been trekking and camping on most of these trips, I have not always had cold water available. Frio is fine with warm water.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having spent plenty of time
And as I have been trekking and camping on most of these trips, I have not always had cold water available. Frio is fine with warm water.
Frio works on the basis of the evaporation being the key driver for chilling the content of the wallet/package. As a result, not very cold water is likely to work more effectively than cold, although you'll probably need to recharge it more frequently. Just be careful it isn't very warm, as in more than 25 celsius.