Marketing tricks and possible dawn phenomenon???

C

catherinecherub

Have a good read of the following link.
When you come to the paragraph, PORTION SIZE IS DECEPTIVE, have a read about Dreamfield's Pasta. It can spike 5 - 12 hrs after consumption. Could other foods be guilty of this and is that why some people experience the dawn phenomenon?

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

Catherine.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Good find Catherine. That's very enlightening. I have often wondered how some people claim that polyols don't deem to affect them. Now we know why!

C

catherinecherub

Thanks Dennis. What did you think about the late spiking of the Dreamfield's pasta?

Catherine.

lilibet

Hi Catherine
I bought it and found bg was similar on next test as it was for ordinary wholemeal pasta. No longer use it. I did kind of think the 'available' carbs stuff was a bit too good to be true

I believe USA look at net carbs in sense of total carbs minus fibre but we dont do that here?

C

catherinecherub

Thanks lilibet,
I personally wouldn't use it or pay the high prices but it certainly gives you food for thought. (excuse the pun) :) The time scale for the spiking is something that user's should be aware of.

Catherine.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Catherine,

I'm a bit sceptical about that. If Dreamfields' claim is correct, the non-digestible carbs simply pass through the small intestine without being converted to glucose (they are treated as fibre). It is only in the small intestine that conversion of carbs into glucose can occur. In which case they can only generate glucose 5-12 hours later if they are still in the small intestine. Now that is one that I don't know. Personally I have tried Dreamfields on a number of occasions and haven't encountered this delayed reaction.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
......and how would you know it was the Dreamfields after 12 hours?

I eat an awful lot in 12 hours!

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
I don't think any diabetic goes without food for 5 - 12 hrs, I didn't do that even before dx.

C

catherinecherub

The way that I see it is if you had the pasta for your evening meal at say 7.00pm and went to bed at say 11.00 pm then the possible spike could occur whilst you were asleep and you would have no knowledge of it.
This information was from the Blood Sugar 101 author Jenny Ruhl. I have emailed her for clarification and will post with her reply. I have to say that all her advice on diabetes is spot on and know that she will explain more fully, she always replies when you email her.
I thought it was an interesting observation and my original post queries that if this happens with a low carb product then we have to wonder if it happens with other starchy carbs.
My post is not to start an argument but a discussion.

Catherine.

C

catherinecherub

This is the reply from Jenny Ruhl, author of Blood Sugar 101. The article in the original post was from her site.

It takes 21 - 24 hrs for the entire digestive process to complete. Amongst individividuals the time spent in different parts of the digestive system varies. People with sympathetic neuropathy (affecting the vagus nerve) may have severe problems with the valve at the bottom of the stomach staying shut and slowing digestion for many hours, for example.
When the carbs hit the system hours after eating there isn't so much a sharp spike, as a longer, continual release of glucose into the blood stream. If people have much more insulin production left they wont see the spike as it will be covered by their insulin. The significant part for people eating low carb to reduce weight is that the steady release of carbs will push up insulin production.
When people make no post meal insulin they will see that raised blood sugar the next morning. I certainly do and so do many people who post about it on diabetes discussion boards.

Trinkwasser

IME from many Dreamfields users mainly on US sites where it has been available for a lot longer, responses vary.

Some (like me) get a small rise over several hours without any alarms. This is probably the commonest reaction.

For some it spikes exactly like normal pasta (especially if overcooked or reheated)

Yet others get the delayed spike.

The only way to find out for sure is to test yourself. I ran tests hourly for about four hours then pre and postprandials for the rest of the day.

Why the differences? Unknown but may have to do with digestive enzymes. I spike badly with wheat, even wheat bran, except when well mixed with other foods in the evening, but for some reason the Dreamfields didn't do this, which I was half expecting to occur. Other grains and forms of starch are less brutal on *my* system.