Marrying/ Long term dating a T1D person

Johnsgirl

I am very sympathetic to @ye6911 's queries. Marriage is, or should be, a life long commitment and rushing into it in the first flush of "love/lust" is not necessarily wise, important to try and have as full an understanding as possible as to what you are getting in to. Perhaps ye6911 wants children, is it right to deliberately have them with a partner who may need more care than they do? These are legitimate worries from someone (or her parents), who do not have the knowledge and experience of people on this forum.
Now back to what I think was actually her question. If she looks round this forum, she will come across T1 diabetics who have completed 50 years and still in good health and ones who fly planes, do all sort of exciting things. Keeping sugar levels within the correct range and leading a generally healthy lifestyle will keep most diabetics in a healthier state than many of the population.
You could marry Superman and tomorrow he could be hit by a runaway bus.
Good luck and all the best to you, @ye6911
Sally
I just wanted to add my own "snapshot" of my partner. He was diagnosed in his thirties, before I met him. He is now nearly 79. Because he always wants to do what he wants and is quite physical, he has both his big toes amputated. He has three daughters and two have been diagnosed with T1 since adulthood and one grandchild has it as well. But, having been diagnosed much more recently, they seem to have much better control over the disease than my partner does. He has only just been fitted with a Freestyle Libre, that reads his blood sugar levels without having to do a finger prick. It's revolutionary. I don't know why he didn't have it sooner. I do have problems with his moods but let's face it, marriage is a lottery whoever you choose. Good luck.

Reactions: Choosehappy