massage

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has any one tried massage, aroma therapy, or reflexology for neuropathy Iam taking 5 x 500 metformin low carb and not feeling too bad except for the dreaded pins and needles and electric shocks to feet in the night! I dont want to take anything like painkillers or other drugs.Iam not used to taking any meds. Always been healthy until the dreaded DIABETES .Hope someone can help. Carol

C

catherinecherub

Hi Carol,
I am trained in anatomy, physiology and massage.

I would not massage your feet even with a letter from your Doctor to say that he agrees to this treatment, (I doubt that he would) as it is contra indicated with neuropathy. You would be unable to judge any pain or the depth of the massage and I may injure you accidentally.
Always ask to see credentials and insurance cover if you do decide to go for it but I think any good therapist would decline.

Hope this helps,

Catherine.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks catherine could I cause any damage to my feet by rubbing ?

Dobbs

hi Carol,
I sympathise, having had similar problems until lately.
The ONLY thing that really helped me was getting my blood sugar lower (by diet plus 2x500 Metformin) and constantly trying to keep it there. Now I'm doing much better than I was a year ago and I have almost none of those pains or tinglings any more.
It takes a while (some months) but I've improved greatly, I hope you will too.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks dobbs I was dx in april and my bgs have come down from 26 single figures most of the time.Inever had any problems before dx although doc said I probably had diabetes for some time I have only had this pins and needles etc for about 1 month .Anyone had experience of low rates of magnesium or vit b12 causing this? Any other Ideas would be very welcome. CAROL