Massive shock I NEED HELP

Livvhughes7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

So for around 6 months now I’ve been so ill as soon as I get rid of an illness I get another one which has caused my blood sugars to be high in the past few months! I’ve also had to have a couple of weeks where I couldn’t take my insulin as it was making me vomit and I had to wait for them to change my medication! However I went for my hba1c test and it was at 140!!! How can I lower this quickly in the next 3 months and am I going to suffer from it being this high? Can some explain it because no one will help me understand at my doctors or diabetic clinic!!!

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Sorry your going thru this, we all have periods where are blood sugars are high.
Are you testing your BM's regularly like pre-meals and 2 hours post meals, this will help you gain control.
Has the nurse taught you to adjust your insulin depending on how high or low your BM is and depending on what you are going to eat?
Try not to worry your blood sugar level will come down.
Have you had any blood tests to see why you keep getting infections?
Hope you feel better very soon.
Take care

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Huge hug.

Taking the new insulin, carb counting and recovering from the infections will all help bring A1c down again.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Livvhughes7 a hba1c of 140 is equivalent to an average blood sugar over the last 3 months of 21.2. Hba1c is a measure of your blood sugar control. You get your hba1c down by controlling your blood sugar. How are you currently managing your diabetes? Which insulins are you taking? What insulin has been changed? If it was your basal you may need to do some basal testing, if it was bolus you may need to check your insulin to carb ratio. Are you carb counting? Are you confident in your carb counting? When you have been unwell have you been applying sick day rules? How often are you testing your blood sugar? What do you usually do when you see blood sugars over 20?

The target for type 1s is to aim for hba1c under 48, adjusted for individuals who may have problems with hypos. The higher your hba1c the greater your risk of developing diabetic complications. As to whether you are "going to suffer from it being this high" no one can answer that. You can have a look at the DCCT risk curves that show as hba1c increases the likelihood of retinopathy (blindness) nephropathy (dialysis) and neuropathy (amputation) increase - http://www.ladalife.com/2013/04/technology-and-a1c/chart-professional-about-a1c-risk/ . One high hba1c doesn't, by any stretch of the imagination, guarantee complications - it's more about extended periods of time at high levels being best avoided to try to minimise your risk of complications.