Mastering diabetes

Beating-My-Betes

Yes. I've reversed type 2 completely using this method & my Dr was shocked. A friend recommended the book which has lots of research & studies, as she has also reversed it.
Great news!

Would be great if you could share more details of your experience/journey. No obligation, of course.

jomar_uk

One word of caution - be very watchful with how your body reacts to oatmeal, unprocessed or otherwise - for some reason it seems to be like kryptonite for a lot of Type 2's. Sometimes even people who aren't diabetics get enormously high spikes from eating the stuff judging by some of the CGM data people have been posting on Twitter. Even small amounts can be problematic for some people. I suspect it's a microbiome thing.

Glad the regime is working for you.

Oats affects mine sky high.
Someone in here advised me and so grateful.
I know we are all different metabolism but surely principles are static (within reason).
Also being kind & polite to each other may not help diabetes but it surely helps blood pressure :))

Kind regards JoMar

• Friendly
Reactions: Grandma Misti

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I note that John93 last posted on this website in Feb 2020 and has not been back to share his success story with us. Sadly we lost Indy51 recently RIP.

tobythekid123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never heard of high carbs working in any research paper and I nearly did a Phd in the topic

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never heard of high carbs working in any research paper and I nearly did a Phd in the topic
I can see it working for insulin users who can bolus for the carb load. I have yet to see a viable testimonial success story on this forum (as opposed to the MD website) I see Holysmoke99 has not provided details of their story.

I am a scientist, and the tenet I hold is that success must be repeatable by others and be subject to independant scrutiny. The jury is still waiting for the trial to begin.

PS I checked Cyrus Khambatta, and he is indeed a T1D insulin user. He is also an athlete, and does fitness training. I on the other hand am a T2D on orals and a couch potato. I also have 8 years of below diabetes HbA1c test results and a BMI of 21. I have been diabetic for over 30 years.so not a Newbie or in honeymoon period. the MD plan would kill me IMHO

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I was alerted to this revived thread by people tagging some of my comments.
Reading through, the last report from @John93 was that they had gone very low carb and low fat on a vegetarian diet, and seen very good results in BG levels.
The next step seemed to be to abandon the low carbohydrate (not enjoyable) diet and forge ahead with all the fun carbohydrate things that they started the thread saying that they could never face giving up.
The assumption being that they were cured.
Then silence.

I would like to know if they are living a joyful, full and active high carbohydrate life or if they didn't come back because it turned out the plan hadn't worked.
I remain vastly cynical.
However I do hope that they are OK!

Beating-My-Betes

Just so it’s clear, the MD program is not just for T1 insulin users, nor is it just for athletes. Many people have contributed to success stories, and I imagine there're many more who'd rather remain anonymous. Some are still accounts of a journey in progress, but all are very much heading in the right direction.

Perhaps someone should let David Unwin know that we've found his black swans ;)

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to know if they are living a joyful, full and active high carbohydrate life or if they didn't come back because it turned out the plan hadn't worked.
I remain vastly cynical.
However I do hope that they are OK!
Having been diagnosed in July and jumping on that Everest like diabetes steep learning curve, I've become extremely cautious of people "selling dreams", without any specifics, or using wonky data. When it comes to extreme ends of dream scenarios being sold, we're not short of options. According to "experts" I've seen, we can all lead a healthy life eating carbs until we're buzzing AND cure diabetes, or nothing but meat until we burst without a drop of dietary fibre and not get colon cancer. Cholesterol doesn't matter, in fact the more of it the better providing you own an electron microscope to see if yours is fluffy enough, or we should only have a diet exclusively consisting of beans and lentils to keep cholesterol rock bottom, otherwise we'll definitely have a coronary in the next 13 seconds. We can only lose weight if in ketosis at all times, or we can only lose fat by not eating fat. You name it, whatever the health condition, there's an easy "cure" that's just one YouTube video view or paid subscription away, promising only upsides and no possibility of causing additional unrelated issues.

Generally speaking, if you want to justify a lifestyle route of any type, there's an "expert" out there with a PhD selling it. They can't all be right given the extremes of disagreement, but most of them have something to sell, or YouTube videos to monetise.

Apologies for the rant, I guess it's just me venting my frustration at a lot of the material out there on the wider internet that's attempting to prey on desperate, vulnerable people.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just so it’s clear, the MD program is not just for T1 insulin users, nor is it just for athletes. Many people have contributed to success stories, and I imagine there're many more who'd rather remain anonymous. Some are still accounts of a journey in progress, but all are very much heading in the right direction.

Perhaps someone should let David Unwin know that we've found his black swans ;)

Using glossy videos IMO is usually a selling activity. However there have been some very informative ones. I remember (vaguely) a TV series called Trust Me Im A Doctor, in which they took non diabetics, and subjected them to typical snacks, and tested their sugar levels both before and after. It was clearly demonstrated that even normal people spike from typical snack products. There was also a Tv program (by David Unwin or Dr Mosley I believe), where they used sugar cubes to demonstrate the sugar content of normal foods and meals. I admire David Unwin, because he is a working GP in a practice, and he used his own diabetic patients to work his experiment. He showed the prospect of Remission, and also how it saves medication dispensing and NHS cost. He was also a regular contributor to this Forum.

Sadly I was not impressed by the Mastering Diabetes videos. Is there any other website other than MD one that has testimonials and is independant of the WFPB movement? This site here, and DUK website are both somewhat bare of testimonials.for that WoE. I would need to see independent scrutiny before I could consider it as a valid method for getting T2D remission. At least this site does have a stab at dissecting all dietary advice, and has the opportunity for people to give their own experiences.

I note that you did provide some experimental data , but it seems to have not been updated recently. I remember you also tried previous to show how the Mastering Diabetes plan was working for you. Did it? its gone very quiet on those threads. But from what I could see, my level of control was much better than the results you were getting, but then I am not doing an OGTT every day.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been diagnosed in July and jumping on that Everest like diabetes steep learning curve, I've become extremely cautious of people "selling dreams", without any specifics, or using wonky data. When it comes to extreme ends of dream scenarios being sold, we're not short of options. According to "experts" I've seen, we can all lead a healthy life eating carbs until we're buzzing AND cure diabetes, or nothing but meat until we burst without a drop of dietary fibre and not get colon cancer. Cholesterol doesn't matter, in fact the more of it the better providing you own an electron microscope to see if yours is fluffy enough, or we should only have a diet exclusively consisting of beans and lentils to keep cholesterol rock bottom, otherwise we'll definitely have a coronary in the next 13 seconds. We can only lose weight if in ketosis at all times, or we can only lose fat by not eating fat. You name it, whatever the health condition, there's an easy "cure" that's just one YouTube video view or paid subscription away, promising only upsides and no possibility of causing additional unrelated issues.

Generally speaking, if you want to justify a lifestyle route of any type, there's an "expert" out there with a PhD selling it. They can't all be right given the extremes of disagreement, but most of them have something to sell, or YouTube videos to monetise.

Apologies for the rant, I guess it's just me venting my frustration at a lot of the material out there on the wider internet that's attempting to prey on desperate, vulnerable people.
Do I detect a True Cynic? Welcome to the club. I see I am tagged as an Expert. But it is only in regards to my own particular condition, of which I have first hand experience. But I have an intense dislike of Guru worship. I advise anyone following me - I fart!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I see I am tagged as an Expert. But it is only in regards to my own particular condition, of which I have first hand experience. But I have an intense dislike of Guru worship.
Be careful, you're an Expert based on your post count, it's an automatic forum thing. Post more and you'll turn into an Oracle, as I found out after retiring as a mod. And if you keep on posting after that you'll receive the title of Guru under your name! :hilarious:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be careful, you're an Expert based on your post count, it's an automatic forum thing. Post more and you'll turn into an Oracle, as I found out after retiring as a mod. And if you keep on posting after that you'll receive the title of Guru under your name! :hilarious:
Thank you for putting me straight. As a well travelled forum member I was aware of the awards scheme of this forum and am nonplussed like Eyeore and Robbie. As far as I am concerned the answer is always 42, and I pity the bowl of petunias. i have also been imbibing my bgl lowering medicine so am somewhat happy too. The Oracle were sexy ladies in Greece, so I cannot be an Oracle. I am neither sexy nor an Lady. hic!

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do I detect a True Cynic? Welcome to the club. I see I am tagged as an Expert. But it is only in regards to my own particular condition, of which I have first hand experience. But I have an intense dislike of Guru worship. I advise anyone following me - I fart!
Same here. Many of those around me consider me cynical, I just consider it being a realist! :)

My approach, broadly speaking, constitutes a cobbled together collection of ideas I've stolen from others (mainly on here) that seem logical and have worked for me so far. Many of these ideas are supported by at least some scientific studies, which are at least vaguely meaningful in my non-qualified opinion. For all I know my approach is clogging up my arteries with cholesterol, killing my kidneys, and gradually turning my liver from fatty status to foie gras. It seems unlikely, but all I know for sure is that every health metric I can personally track is improving with every week I'm doing this. I'll take the risks on the chin, which are largely out of my control for tracking anyway, and like you I'll continue on a path that seems to be working for my personal array of health conditions.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very unlikely. You get foie gras by force feeding geese carbs, not fats.
Isn't it odd that medical professionals believe it works completely opposite in humans?
Well you've stomped all over my lazy attempt at a comedic turn of phrase there, haven't you! :)

However, you're completely right. Prior to diagnosis, I'd never had much reason/motivation to give it much thought, but the sheer number of ways that some health advice attempts to insist humans are entirely different to animals generally is quite infuriating. We like to think we're so special as a species that we deny the evidence before our own eyes.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well your posts in this thread demonstrate cynicism not realism.
Sorry, I must apologise. I'll jump right on that subscription for the course your favourite website is selling and carb up to the max, all on the say-so of some rando on a forum with no scientific evidence or independent studies to back up his rando claims.

Beating-My-Betes

Very unlikely. You get foie gras by force feeding geese carbs, not fats.
The pertinent point here is the force-feeding. They force it down the animals' throats to bypass normal satiety mechanism, so that they'eat' way past what they normally would, and until they increase to up-to ten times their natural 'in-the-wild-size. Theoretically it'd be no different if they filled the tubes with fat. It'd likely be quicker, given the calories-per-gram of fat vs grain. But I'm assuming a bird would expel fat as quick as it entered, as opposed to it's natural diet, and it'd also likely be more expensive.

Isn't it odd that medical professionals believe it works completely opposite in humans?
Actually, I think you'll find that most medical professionals neither demonise fat, protein or carbs; rather, they advise to keep everything in a relative (to each other) balance, and certainly to remain within one's energetic needs. This is no different to what the guidelines have always recommended.

There used to be a vocal contingent who'd claim that fat makes people fat, and unfortunately some still exist (including various plant-based doctors who still get this embarrassingly incorrect).

The truth is that there're no single, nor any combination of, foods or macros that cause weight gain or loss, independent of energy context/considerations. In framing carbs, not fat, as the real enemy, the low-carb medics (Not all of them, fortunately) have just taken the same misinformation/lies and spun them to the diametric opposite position. And the real shame of it is that those who feel somewhat emancipated from the lie of "Fat makes us fat" have been just as easily duped into believing the lie that 'Carbs make us fat'.

It is understandably an enticing narrative, but that doesn't make it true ;)

Beating-My-Betes

Just a reminder to forum members, please keep it friendly, personal attacks will not be tolerated, if it continues then it’s risks the thread being locked.

Back to friendly constructive discussion please :)
To clarify, my post was not any kind of attack...and certainly not delivered with any amount of un-friendliness. T'was just an observation that someone's position seems more informed by cynicism than realis, both of which have specific and vey distinct qualities. It's no more an attack than if I suggested someone had quite a negative disposition.