May & Leadsom...Who Will Be Our Next PM?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
The first female PM since Margaret Thatcher....who will the Membership chose?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well most of the ones I know are voting May over Leadsom. But who knows what the further UKIP forces will do.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well most of the ones I know are voting May over Leadsom. But who knows what the further UKIP forces will do.

My wife and I will be voting, but I really don't know which way at present.

May - experience! Remain.

Leadsom - Leave campaigner.

Flippin hec, a lot to think through:)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
May comes across as the same as Cameron - i.e. Continuity of the same old policies (except EU). Leadsome comes across as more amiable and likeable. I still think it will be closer than the press think. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
May comes across as the same as Cameron - i.e. Continuity of the same old policies (except EU). Lead some comes across as more amiable and likeable. I still think it will be closer than the press think. :)

I totally agree on both observations. Most of the membership wanted to Leave, will they send another stinging rebuke to Parliament and bring in Leadsom? Very possibly.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I totally agree on both observations. Most of the membership wanted to Leave, will they send another stinging rebuke to Parliament and bring in Leadsom? Very possibly.

My personal opinion is that May doesn't have a mandate to be PM due to her being a Remain campaigner.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a bit like asking "Would I prefer to be killed by a machine gun or by heavy artillery"? :eek:

Both far right-wing Tories, which is not my thing at all; I suppose that at least May has experience in Government at a senior level and opposed leaving the EU. So far as I can tell, Leadsome has limited experience of Government, as a junior minister, and a cv that she now admits has been sexed up in various ways.

Neither of them inspire the slightest confidence in me, although I suppose they both have the saving grace of being neither Boris Johnson nor Michael Gove .....

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's not May, then we are going to be in an even bigger mess than we are already :banghead:

My wife has an Irish passport, and if a Brexit lunatic becomes PM I will be claiming Irish citizenship as well.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My personal opinion is that May doesn't have a mandate to be PM due to her being a Remain campaigner.

As a Remainer that's my biggest concern and why I'm more inclined to vote Leadsom, but it's not settled for me yet.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As a Remainer that's my biggest concern and why I'm more inclined to vote Leadsom, but it's not settled for me yet.

I abstained in the referendum due to indecision and unsure of the consequences either way. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's a bit like asking "Would I prefer to be killed by a machine gun or by heavy artillery"? :eek:

Both far right-wing Tories, which is not my thing at all; I suppose that at least May has experience in Government at a senior level and opposed leaving the EU. So far as I can tell, Leadsome has limited experience of Government, as a junior minister, and a cv that she now admits has been sexed up in various ways.

Neither of them inspire the slightest confidence in me, although I suppose they both have the saving grace of being neither Boris Johnson nor Michael Gove .....

I watched Leadsom's interview on BBC and I recall her standing by her CV.

Totally agree in your Boris and Gove observation.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If it's not May, then we are going to be in an even bigger mess than we are already :banghead:

My wife has an Irish passport, and if a Brexit lunatic becomes PM I will be claiming Irish citizenship as well.

You won't be the only one.

Well it's down to just under 150,000 people to decide upon our next PM....but of course non of us should forget that whoever wins, the other will have a key cabinet position and key Leavers will also play a significant part within the new cabinet and I do hope in terms of our EU exit we will have cross party teams, working for the greater good of the country to lead us to safer shores:)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I watched Leadsom's interview on BBC and I recall her standing by her CV.

Totally agree in your Boris and Gove observation.

I'm glad Boris Johnson isn't in it. I saw through him years ago, he is an opportunist and just went with where the wind was blowing to sneak into being PM. He is only a backbencher and has zero experience in government or even being a junior minister and thought he would be terrible for the country. :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leadsom, and plan for an early general election.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I know Leadsom stands by her CV, but I also know rather more than I should about some of the background relating to her CV and that's why I am rather unimpressed with the whole thing.

The reality is if either of them had been leader of the Tories at the last election, we would more than likely have had a hung parliament.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think May has the gravitas and experience to be the next PM.

She was mainly in the background during the referendum campaign, and is possibly healthily sceptical towards the EU, whilst still recognising it's importance to the future of the UK.

Reactions: 3 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Leadsom, and plan for an early general election.

An early GM is certainly a genuine prospect with Leadsom, not so with May, who has already said she will not call a GM within this parliament through to 2020.

May is defo for remaining in the SM, so that means the 4 free movements and fees from the UK at least equal to our current contributions,but with zero influence. I think with this scenario, which I favour (although I would rather we had remained), that we will have uproar on the streets and to the right of the Conservative party.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know Leadsom stands by her CV, but I also know rather more than I should about some of the background relating to her CV and that's why I am rather unimpressed with the whole thing.

The reality is if either of them had been leader of the Tories at the last election, we would more than likely have had a hung parliament.

Interesting Tim...bloomin politics and the politicos:)

It's a difficult call!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
There' s an Idea, I'll bring the rope!:rolleyes:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

There won't be a General election with such a small majority for the Tories in 2015.