Maybe i am prediabetic or maybe not... Thoughts

bdeathayde

Hi, my name is Brian, i am from Argentina.
I have searched various sites and this one have the best information.
I want to share with you my thoughts, last winter i got ill from the lungs but the GP in ER said i had a sinus infection, got me on antibiotics, the antibiotics did nothing, so i went to an otorhinolaryngologist, what did he said... he betted that i was diabetic (my weight was 135 kilos almost 300 pounds, 1.82 meters, good muscles behind the fat), i got various tests, he said i was a time bomb.
I almost cried, something was not right, i got lucky that my family GP got back from vacation, i got to see him, he told me maybe i had a sinus infection but also had bronchitis, he got me on antibiotics again and two days later i got well (he did not though i was diabetic but better be tested).
I bought a monitor Accu-check, so i started reading about prediabetes, i found Jason Fung Fat-chance book, my fasting blood glucose at the moment was 6.3-6.6 mmol, with the knowledge from the books i started a LCHF diet and IF, in two months i have lost 35 pounds and my FBG is between 5.7 and 6.3.
Got to think, i got up at 7:30 my first check say 6.3, two hours later is 5.9, let see maybe a got a liver dump at 6 or 7 before i wake up, a liver dumps is kinda food (the liver put sugar in the blood, like breakfast), so if two hours later my BG got down, maybe my real number is the 9 am check. Every dietician says that we need to eat six little meals a day, with normal carbohydrates, so a normal person goes from 5.0 mmol to 7 mmol six times a day, so i took my high fasting BG as near normal because i only eat one or two times a day. From 9 am to 9 pm my BG is steady 5.7 mmol, two hours after a meal is less than 6.4 mmol.
I have learn that some doctors do not see the whole picture and does not care, finally i took the tests (just that morning my bg monitor check was 5.4...), the lab came with FBG at 5.2 mmol, a HOMA-IR at 1.6 (not insulin resistance), total cholesterol 154, triglycerides 103, everything normal...
So FBG at 5.4 was my all time low from the time i got my BG monitor, after that day without any change in the diet i did not got that number again, i got 5.7 to 6.3 afterward.
I will ask my GP a HBA1C, i really do not know if i am prediabetic or not, it is not black or white as some doctors like.
I think i have not lost much beta cells, i do not have hyperinsulinemia, so maybe a little high FBG is not a great deal for me.
I have readed plenty of yours posts, know the frustration of a little high reading in the morning, but maybe is just a benign liver dump that after 90 minutes BG returns to a better number.
So HBA1C and glucose tolerance test are the real deal. Maybe we prediabetics were a little anxious about every day FBG reading, and we only need to check a 3 months HBA1C...
What are your thought?

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Wow.

Well done on the English. Estoy aprendo espanol para seis messes. Getting better slowly, you lot talk SO fast.

Yes I think the Hba1c test number is the one you need. You look pretty normal.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum Brian, and well done on your weight loss. We aren't doctors and can't diagnose you. Your bg readings are all good, but if you really want to know for sure you should ask your doctor for a HbA1c test.

btw I don't think 'Every dietitian say we need to eat six little meals a day, with normal carbohydrates', dietitians give widely varying advice on diet. You need to work out which approach t eating suits you.

bdeathayde

Hi, thanks
Why FBG swings every day, that the millon pound question...
I think it is because we test everyday, i would like to know what reading got a non prediabetic\diabetic in the morning after a big dinner of pizza, maybe everyone got a little high the morning after, also the twelve hours fasting before the check also play.
Here in Argentina we dinner after 21 oclock, will diner before 21 and fast for twelve hours then check in the morning, maybe that number is lower and is the same as the lab.

SPL@ great that you are learning spanish, entonces hace 6 meses que estas aprendiendo?, piensas ir de vacaciones a España?.
Kind regards

Tigernash

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Get your HbA1c checked first. 42-48mmols is pre-diabetic. it's a good thing to have this information.
intermittent Fasting is a good tool, don't get to caught up in the the 'diet' hype. they are all tools to use to your advantage.

Spend two weeks writing down what and how much you're eating, this will be a good place to start. Address the added sugar in your diet (nothing more than 5g per 100g or 100ml) start reducing then hopefully then eliminate.

Added sugar in our diets is not needed, our body makes all the sugar we need (glucose)

good luck

cured

Hi, my name is Brian, i am from Argentina.
I have searched various sites and this one have the best information.
I want to share with you my thoughts, last winter i got ill from the lungs but the GP in ER said i had a sinus infection, got me on antibiotics, the antibiotics did nothing, so i went to an otorhinolaryngologist, what did he said... he betted that i was diabetic (my weight was 135 kilos almost 300 pounds, 1.82 meters, good muscles behind the fat), i got various tests, he said i was a time bomb.
I almost cried, something was not right, i got lucky that my family GP got back from vacation, i got to see him, he told me maybe i had a sinus infection but also had bronchitis, he got me on antibiotics again and two days later i got well (he did not though i was diabetic but better be tested).
I bought a monitor Accu-check, so i started reading about prediabetes, i found Jason Fung Fat-chance book, my fasting blood glucose at the moment was 6.3-6.6 mmol, with the knowledge from the books i started a LCHF diet and IF, in two months i have lost 35 pounds and my FBG is between 5.7 and 6.3.
Got to think, i got up at 7:30 my first check say 6.3, two hours later is 5.9, let see maybe a got a liver dump at 6 or 7 before i wake up, a liver dumps is kinda food (the liver put sugar in the blood, like breakfast), so if two hours later my BG got down, maybe my real number is the 9 am check. Every dietician says that we need to eat six little meals a day, with normal carbohydrates, so a normal person goes from 5.0 mmol to 7 mmol six times a day, so i took my high fasting BG as near normal because i only eat one or two times a day. From 9 am to 9 pm my BG is steady 5.7 mmol, two hours after a meal is less than 6.4 mmol.
I have learn that some doctors do not see the whole picture and does not care, finally i took the tests (just that morning my bg monitor check was 5.4...), the lab came with FBG at 5.2 mmol, a HOMA-IR at 1.6 (not insulin resistance), total cholesterol 154, triglycerides 103, everything normal...
So FBG at 5.4 was my all time low from the time i got my BG monitor, after that day without any change in the diet i did not got that number again, i got 5.7 to 6.3 afterward.
I will ask my GP a HBA1C, i really do not know if i am prediabetic or not, it is not black or white as some doctors like.
I think i have not lost much beta cells, i do not have hyperinsulinemia, so maybe a little high FBG is not a great deal for me.
I have readed plenty of yours posts, know the frustration of a little high reading in the morning, but maybe is just a benign liver dump that after 90 minutes BG returns to a better number.
So HBA1C and glucose tolerance test are the real deal. Maybe we prediabetics were a little anxious about every day FBG reading, and we only need to check a 3 months HBA1C...
What are your thought?

cured

You can be fairly certain that you have diabetes if your BMI indicates that you are overweight. The higher the reading, the higher the risk. If you are overweight consult a doctor and have your blood sugar level checked and it will tell you if you are diabetic. if you are, then you will be put on medication, which you need to take in conjunction with an appropriate diet (low GL, carb, fat, calorie) and regular low impact exercise. Monitor your vital stats daily

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hi, thanks
Why FBG swings every day, that the millon pound question...
I think it is because we test everyday, i would like to know what reading got a non prediabetic\diabetic in the morning after a big dinner of pizza, maybe everyone got a little high the morning after, also the twelve hours fasting before the check also play.
Here in Argentina we dinner after 21 oclock, will diner before 21 and fast for twelve hours then check in the morning, maybe that number is lower and is the same as the lab.

SPL@ great that you are learning spanish, entonces hace 6 meses que estas aprendiendo?, piensas ir de vacaciones a España?.
Kind regards

Si canarias en ochos semanas.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You can be fairly certain that you have diabetes if your BMI indicates that you are overweight.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Lots of overweight/obese people don't have diabetes, and about 10 - 20% of T2s are slim at diagnosis and have never been overweight, so I really wouldn't use that as a rule of thumb.

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can be fairly certain that you have diabetes if your BMI indicates that you are overweight. The higher the reading, the higher the risk. If you are overweight consult a doctor and have your blood sugar level checked and it will tell you if you are diabetic. if you are, then you will be put on medication, which you need to take in conjunction with an appropriate diet (low GL, carb, fat, calorie) and regular low impact exercise. Monitor your vital stats daily
Uh... Nope. Obesity can be a symptom of diabetes, not a cause, so there's plenty of big folks out there who'll never get it. Quite a few skinny ones who do. And the diet you're peddling is a dangerous one!

Reactions: Prem51