**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hi
Do people have an entire supply of equipment other than in there homes?
I was at work today with high levels that I couldn't explain and could have really done with ketosticks, insulin, a pen and a new infusion set for my pump.
I have spare cannulas for my pump at work but nothing else.
I feel my GP wouldn't be very happy about doubling everything.
How would I get around the insulin in a communal fridge too?
X

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take insulin and a infusion sets to work. If away for longer I take a pen too as a back up. I don't keep the insulin in a fridge (pump insulin that is) and they are fine (only 160 u per cartridge so they do not hang around for too long). You could put the insulin into a ziplock bag with your name on in the sure and certain hope that nobody is likely to nick it. Why would they?
I would love a spare handset but that is not within the pump contract that Roche has with my CCG so do have a basic meter too which is compatible with the pump meter. I can easily stockpile consumeable supplies for the pump though. As for insulin, surely you need to have a decent supply of that and I doubt your GP monitors your consumption of it precisely in any case.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As for insulin, surely you need to have a decent supply of that and I doubt your GP monitors your consumption of it precisely in any case.
I moved to NZ last May and only recently got a new script for insulin (my Australian GP used to give me enough for 6 months or more any time I asked). Here the GP actually asked how much I took and wrote it on the script - I ended up with 3 cartridges of lantus for a month, similar for humalog. While I do think the Australian GP overdid it I would prefer ti have a bit more of a buffer to allow for things like (oops, left insulin pen in the car on a hot day, oops, have virus, etc etc).