1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Maybe I Need More Supplies

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by **shell**, Mar 23, 2018.

1. **shell**

**shell** Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    Do people have an entire supply of equipment other than in there homes?
    I was at work today with high levels that I couldn't explain and could have really done with ketosticks, insulin, a pen and a new infusion set for my pump.
    I have spare cannulas for my pump at work but nothing else.
    I feel my GP wouldn't be very happy about doubling everything.
    How would I get around the insulin in a communal fridge too?
    X

2. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take insulin and a infusion sets to work. If away for longer I take a pen too as a back up. I don't keep the insulin in a fridge (pump insulin that is) and they are fine (only 160 u per cartridge so they do not hang around for too long). You could put the insulin into a ziplock bag with your name on in the sure and certain hope that nobody is likely to nick it. Why would they?
    I would love a spare handset but that is not within the pump contract that Roche has with my CCG so do have a basic meter too which is compatible with the pump meter. I can easily stockpile consumeable supplies for the pump though. As for insulin, surely you need to have a decent supply of that and I doubt your GP monitors your consumption of it precisely in any case.

3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I moved to NZ last May and only recently got a new script for insulin (my Australian GP used to give me enough for 6 months or more any time I asked). Here the GP actually asked how much I took and wrote it on the script - I ended up with 3 cartridges of lantus for a month, similar for humalog. While I do think the Australian GP overdid it I would prefer ti have a bit more of a buffer to allow for things like (oops, left insulin pen in the car on a hot day, oops, have virus, etc etc).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook